Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Drive shaft please

Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Drive shaft please

From what I understand a 4" lift is going to require a longer rear drive shaft with a double cardin u joint, but my front drive shaft is alright in a standard. Can I run the stock driveshaft for a while before installing a longer one? Also, can anyone give me some suggestions on well priced driveshafts that will get me going in the right direction. I'm having a hard time knowing what to look for.Thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

4dr?? If so, I know a lot of people still running the stock ds after a 4" lift. It'll get you by for a while but you'll want to change it.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, 2 door.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

bump... was searching and this is my questions also. i also read the faq's and need to know what a double cardin u joint is? can anyone post links to what to buy?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I suggest the Woods 1310 or 1350 drive shafts, they make a great product.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Generally speaking...

Once you get over 3" of lift, both shafts need replaced on a 2 door, and the front on a 4 door.
The rear on the 4 door is normally ok up to around 4".

Again, these are general guidelines. Everyones exact experience is a little different depending on what lift, how they drive, and just plain luck.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

from the Q&A

Q: Are new driveshafts needed after installing a lift?
A: You really should consider installing a new rear double cardin U-joint style drive shaft if you have lifted your Jeep JK Wrangler 3" or more and have a 2-door. This is needed because the short rear drive shaft of the 2-doors will be at a steep enough angle that the CV boots will wear out prematurely. However, in order to do this, you will need to buy a set of rear adjustable upper control arms so that you can properly set your pinion angle. 4-Door Unlimited models do not have this problem as their rear drive shafts are very long and a lift will not effect the angle of it too much. As far as the front goes, if you have an automatic transmission, you will need to replace the drive shaft with a double cardin U-joint style unit as well as the diameter of aftermarket shafts will be considerably narrower and will not come into contact with the transmission and/or skid plate. Failure to do this will result in the tearing of the factory drive shaft boot as it makes contact with the transmission. Manual transmissions will not have this problem and keeping the factory front drive shaft will not be a problem.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Woods, Coast, JE Reel and Tatton are popular shafts. TeraFlex and some other lift manufacturers also sell them. A search will bring up plenty of threads to give you some good feedback.

Another option would be to go with a local driveline shop, as they are likely less expensive, will install for you, and you'll have the local support if there are any problems.

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-27-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

RE is also good shafts.

I'd be leary of tatton, ive read a good amount of issues with the balancing.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

i so hijacked this thread...

so what is a double cardin u joint style?

what are the differences between 1310 and 1350?

i also noticed rubicon express what is CVF or CVO?

Quick Reply: Help with Drive shaft please