Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP, Drive shaft issue

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP x 2

OK, so thanks to all of you for your comments. I was able to get my new drive line installed over the weekend and all went well with the installation, even using the red lock-tite.

However, I still have that same cyclical tick. Here's the story:

Once the oem shaft was off, I drove the HEEP and no noise, so I was like, AWESOME, I figured it out. So I proceeded with the installation of the new d/s. Then, on it's maiden voyage, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the freaking cyclical click...

So now I'm not sure if the noise has to do with how I installed the d/s (I don't think it's that) or is it something messed up in my transfer case?

Any thoughts, suggestions or PRAYERS would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get up to about 40mph and pull back on the 4wd shifter a little but don't go all the way into 4wd. See if it disappears or gets worse. Also have u checked to see if it does it when fully in 4wd?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this click on turns or straight ahead driving... Do u have an auto or 6 spd??

HTC THUNDERBOLT VIA TAPATALK.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Get up to about 40mph and pull back on the 4wd shifter a little but don't go all the way into 4wd. See if it disappears or gets worse. Also have u checked to see if it does it when fully in 4wd?
I put her in 4 hi and 4 low and it was still there. Doesn't feel like there's a loss of power either. Just a stupid clicking noise. thanks for the suggestions...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Is this click on turns or straight ahead driving... Do u have an auto or 6 spd??

HTC THUNDERBOLT VIA TAPATALK.
I have an auto and this click is always... As long as the front d/s turns, there is a click... like every third rotation of the d/s. I'm going to tear it apart again tonight and run it without a d/s all day tomorrow and see what happens...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Could it be something with one of the brake rotors? Try jacking one rear wheel up and spinning it to see if you hear the clicking sound. Just a thought!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GunDude
Could it be something with one of the brake rotors? Try jacking one rear wheel up and spinning it to see if you hear the clicking sound. Just a thought!
Thanks, will do... It's just one of those little pissy sounds that tends to annoy the crap out of you... and who knows, will make your Jeep explode if gone undetected...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Default New problem

Ok, so last night I was able to get under the jeep and take off the new d/s to see what might be going on. Once I removed the new d/s, I began to spin the yoke that goes into the transfer case and sure enough, there was the sound.

So I take the jeep to a friend/mechanic who proceeds to tell me what he thinks may be the cause of this BEAUTIFUL noise (pump, planetary gear, stretched chain...) but that he won't be able to tell for sure until he rips open the transfer case... which in the end could be between $150 to $700+.
All this right before EJS.

Isn't it odd that your vehicle seems to know the perfect time to juse crap out on you?

We'll tear it apart this weekend and see what happens... wish me luck!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

i have an 07 2door with 35s. tom woods driveshafts and lower control arms to correct the driveshaft geometry fixed me.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
(pump, planetary gear, stretched chain...) but that he won't be able to tell for sure until he rips open the transfer case... which in the end could be between $150 to $700+.
All this right before EJS.
Look around for a used Rubi 4:1 tcase before you dump a bunch of money into yours

Quick Reply: HELP, Drive shaft issue