Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP, Drive shaft issue

Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Drive shaft issue

Ok, so I need to pick some of your brains re: possible drive shaft issues. I will try and explain this as best as I can.

To start off, I have an 07 automatic 4 door with a 4" TF lift and I run 35's. I have my stock drive shaft on the jeep. So, here we go:

As I was driving on Friday afternoon, I noticed a clicking sound as I was slowing down. Now the sound is cyclical, meaning as I slow down, the sound slows down. At first, I thought I had a rock or a nail in my tire, sounds reasonable, so when I stopped to fill up ($3.45/gallon... that's another topic), I checked my tires and nothing. The next obvious thing was to check the drive line and I could not see anything.

I got home jacked up the driver's side front tire and was able to spin the tire and I started hearing the click. While under the jeep, I was rotating the tire and I think the clicking sound happens like every three and a half turns of the drive shaft. It appears that the click is coming from the CV joint (transfer case end) of the drive shaft. I tried looking at the CV boot but I could not tell if it was torn, however, there seemed to be a little grease around the CV area, but not a lot.

I'm wondering if I tore the boot on the CV joint and then burned up the splines or something in the drive shaft.

My question is does that sound like that may be the culprit? I realize without actually seeing/hearing the sound it's hard to tell but I'm willing to hear what you all may think.

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Youri, thanks for the feedback. I kind of thought that's what it was. I just wanted to see if I was on the right track. I guess I'll be calling Tom Woods here in a few...
Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Since it's your front shaft, just pull it off and go for a drive. No clicking, and you verified the problem. It will also be better to run without the shaft, 'just in case'.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

I replaced mine with a Tom woods and it fixed the sound. One test is that the sound should get louder in 4 x 4.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

New drive shaft ordered. I'll keep you updated, just in case any of you really give a damn...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-UTE
New drive shaft ordered. I'll keep you updated, just in case any of you really give a damn...
Of course we care, let us know how the new shaft works out. I had to replace my rear shaft last month because it was spraying grease all over the place. Better to replace it before it blows. I know u can disconnect it but do you really want to be on the side of highway in winter with trucks driving by u f-ing with ur DS? I know I didnt.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Big brown truck brought me a new drive shaft today. Will let you all know what happens once I get this thing installed.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

This exact same thing happened to me last week. Your new shaft will fix it. Just a bit sooner and we could have had a garage party. DOnt no if you have put it on yet but there is a good write up on here about it. I dont know how hard it would have been without the gear puller I rented from AutoZone, but it sure made it easy. $35-$40 deposit and refunded when you bring it back.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure u use red loctite on the yoke nuts!

good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP, Drive shaft issue