Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help with Drive shaft!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with Drive shaft!

Ok i'm getting my JE Reel front drive shaft in a few weeks. how hard is it to put on myself.

i'll be getting the TF 3" with spring and shocks as well as 4 control arms. 2 front / 2 rear. will also be putting on HD TF front track bar. i think i have help with the lift instal. not worried about that. but how hard is it to put on the drive shaft.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

super easy - its the easiest part of your install.

Just make sure you have an impact wrench and the right size sockets and you're good. I assume you're swapping yokes? It's the hardest part of the install and just takes some muscle with the impact wrench, since the stock pinion nut is torqued to like 250 ft lbs. Remember to get new pinion nuts, you're not supposed to reuse the old ones.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You could also browse the 'other' new JE Reel driveshaft thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/replaced-driveshafts-now-diff-fluid-everywhere-89120/
Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Yokes?

I take it JE' Reel's dont come with yokes? ok, if they don't. do they sell yokes. or can i just get the ones form TeraFlex and call it a day. will the TF yokes fit on the JE Reel drive shafts?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Would I

Would i be smarter just to call up Tom Woods and have him send me a Drive shaft with yokes?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ckmehl
Ok i'm getting my JE Reel front drive shaft in a few weeks. how hard is it to put on myself.

i'll be getting the TF 3" with spring and shocks as well as 4 control arms. 2 front / 2 rear. will also be putting on HD TF front track bar. i think i have help with the lift instal. not worried about that. but how hard is it to put on the drive shaft.
Much easier if you have an impact gun. What you want to do is mark the pinion with a chisel and mark the pinion nut with a chisel lining both of them up. When you install the new flanges, hit the pinion nut with an impact until it feels tight then look at your chisel marks. Keep tightening until the mark on the pinion nut goes just a hair past your previous mark on the pinion. This re-establishes the pinion pre-load. If the pre-load is left too loose or you go way too tight, the outer pinion bearing will be damaged and could seize. If it spins in the housing, new front axle housing and gears, etc. It's easier than you think though
Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Default i'm still leaning!

i still think i'm going to call Tom Woods and have him send me shaft and yokes and just go out in town to have it installed.

i'm willing to try the lift with a helping hand. but my drive line is something else.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just Be Careful...

Originally Posted by husker_shoe
Much easier if you have an impact gun. What you want to do is mark the pinion with a chisel and mark the pinion nut with a chisel lining both of them up. When you install the new flanges, hit the pinion nut with an impact until it feels tight then look at your chisel marks. Keep tightening until the mark on the pinion nut goes just a hair past your previous mark on the pinion. This re-establishes the pinion pre-load. If the pre-load is left too loose or you go way too tight, the outer pinion bearing will be damaged and could seize. If it spins in the housing, new front axle housing and gears, etc. It's easier than you think though
Hi husker_shoe,

I can see the logic in this if you are reusing a yoke; but, I would be concerned when installing a new yoke that there may be process variances between the old and the new yoke. In other words, in order to get the correct torque, the nut might not align the same with respect to the nut on the shaft.

I could be wrong... Just something for discussion.

Jeff

Quick Reply: help with Drive shaft!