Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!!!! Differential Covers

Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
it aint that hard...

Block the tires at one end of the vehicle to keep it from rolling, and then jack up a tire on the other end.
Place the transmission in neutral and release the parking brake if you are checking the rear diff.
Spin the tire exactly TWO full revolutions while at the same time counting exactly how many revolutions the driveshaft spins (marking the driveshaft and tires beforehand will make it easier to count revolutions).
The number of revolutions the driveshaft spins is your gear ratio.
If it spins just over 4 times, then the ratio is probably 4.10; 4-1/3 = 4.30; 4-1/2 = 4.56; just under 5 = 4.88; 5-1/3 = 5.29, etc.

while ur doing this also look for damage, cracked or broken teeth etc.
once ur done, clean the gears with any brake cleaner, reseal and get the diff cover back on then fill with the correct gear oil per ur owner manual. shouldnt take more than an hour per axle.

this will be a great exercise for you to get familiar with ur jeep - enjoy
There you go Climr - thanks JK.bushwacker
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 AM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not hard to do BUT if you aren't feeling comfortable taking apart your diff then I wouldn't recommend it. Myself, I have no problems diving into something and figuring it out on my own. It's the BEST way to learn how your Jeep or anything else works.

Do you have a buddy that's more mechanically inclined? If so get him to oversee you doing the work and use his knowledge to help you along.

If you want to attempt it all you need to do is drain the diff fluid (It smells nasty) via the drain plug. Then remove all the bolts holding the diff cover on. The diff cover will be sealed on and will take some "persuading" to remove. You now have access to your gears. the ring gear is the big vertical one (looks like a ring) and the pinion gear is at the front of the diff housing and connects to your drive shaft. Counting the teeth on your ring gear is easy, but seeing and counting the pinion teeth is a little harder.
Once you've counted and checked stuff you need to put the diff cover back on. First thing is to remove ALL leftover sealant from the cover and the housing. Should scrape off with a razor blade. Then you have to put on new sealant in a decent size bead all the way around. Run the sealant on the inside of the bolt holes and don't worry about putting on too much sealant. Too much is better than too little. Then put the cover in place and bolt on. You will want to borrow a torque wrench to ensure the bolts are torqued properly.
Now refill with new diff fluid (make sure your drain plug is in!) check for leaks and away you go. Check for leaks again the following day and keep checking periodically for the next week or so.

If that quick description doesn't scare you off then you should be okay to attempt it...if it does, then let someone else do it lol

You could always see if a fellow local Jeeper would be willing to show you for the price of beer and pizza?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

hey, just a word of THANKS to all my fellow Jeepers out here! i really appreciate the patience and input from you all. when i get off i will try the spin the wheel trick, and with 60k on the dash i will get the oil and diff fluid changed!

have fun, be safe, and hope to see you on the trails! or road if you dont get off the blacktop!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

We have drain plugs? No kidding, lol. I have not changed my dif fluid in my JK yet so that is good to know. In the past I just used a siphon of one form or another. Dif fluid does have a rather...unique smell about it.
As for joining clubs, good luck. Might be easier where you are, I know here in Vegas there seem to be few and far between or absolutely terrible communications so you learn to do things solo. Even more so if people tell you it is impossible But perhaps that is just me.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll continue this tread in lue of starting another 'diff cover' thread.

I have read over may posts, and the write up on Project JK, and I'm confused on one thing...access to the top few bolts on the front and rear cover. My Jeep sits stock and I have spent time under each end trying to figure out how to access the top few bolts...I want to say the track bar is in the way. Is it because I'm not lifted my suspension geometery is different?

What's the trick?

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! Differential Covers