Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help Diagnosing Loud Bang?!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pitman arm is keyed. Its impossible for it to jump splines. Just saving you some time.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_engel
pitman arm is keyed. Its impossible for it to jump splines. Just saving you some time.
thank you thats good to know

Originally Posted by jadmt
steering wheels just don't get off by 30* it has to be more then swaybar hitting.
that was why i thought pitman arm but if what D_engel is correct it couldn't be the case. the odd thing is that the two fallowing times (One of which is in the video) my steering wasn't effected. still a mystery :(
Old 06-18-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

any update?

sea bass post #8 was right on for me. on both sides the sway bar has chewed up that crossmember tube. i really need to cut it. HOWEVER, it is not the cause of my loud twang noise that happens. i think it might be a control arm but its damn near impossible to figure it out. for whatever reason, mine happens more frequent during or after a rain.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

So it looks like I have a few things going on. Front drivers coil is hitting that bolt in the coil bucket and front sway bar is scraping on that piece of tube poking through the frame. The sway bar isn't really an issue I'll chop that off, but what have people done to eliminate the bolt hitting the coil? I've never actually had an alignment but I centered the axle with a tape measure ages ago and it is still cantered by tape. I was thinking I could move the whole axle over a hair and see if the coil doesn't hit? It's so weird that I've wheeled it for so long like this end only now I'm hearing/seeing anything any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

loose control arms try lightning everything

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Loud Bang?!