Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help Diagnosing Loud Bang?!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnosing Loud Bang?! (video)

Hi guys. so a little over a week ago i was trying to flex my jeep to see if my new rear bump stops had cured my rubbing issues ( they didn't ) and i heard a weird bang come from under my jeep. when i came off the pile of dirt i drove up on my steering wheel was about 30* out. i measured everything and my toe was ok and nothing was broken so i re-centered my wheel and carried on my way. (for what its worth when this happened my front passenger tire was completely stuffed and there was no weight on the front driver side coil)

so last weekend i was out doing some wheeling and i had a massive CRACK! come from under my jeep. i stopped as soon as i heard it and climbed under the jeep to have a peek. to my surprise i couldn't see anything broken which i thought was very strange considering the noise. on my way back through the trail it happened again. both times on this day i had the front driver side tire stuffed and the passenger drooped (still had weight on the coil) i was not flexing like crazy by any means but it sounded as if something seriously broke. again i gave it a look over and couldn't see anything obvious. thankfully i had the wife taking a video and she got the noise clear as day.

i came across this thread --> https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...lt-bang-60871/

unfortunetly I'm working out of town rite now and not home to see this bolt that is talked about in the thread but in the mean time I'm racking my brain to determine what is going on. I'm wondering if this is common or if anyone else has experienced similar noises and knows what it is?

vehicle specs:
2012 JKUR
PR44 front
Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor
Aftermarket front drive shaft
37" tires

Rear axle was pushed back about an 1.5" (i need to make it 1" to fix rubbing issues), and i think my front was pushed forward about an inch also. (Possible cause of problems?)

in the video the noise I'm talking about happens at exactly 11 seconds. all the other noise is my muffler hanger loose and hitting my rear sway bar. i stop for a moment after the noise but remembering the wife was filming i just carried on with that section of trail Any input would be greatly appreciated cuz I'm loosing my mind trying to figure out exactly what is wrong lol!

Last edited by -spilly; 06-04-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things come to mind

1. sway bar rubbing on the round tube crossmember sticking through your frame in front. You'll probably see some decent gouging if that's what it is. I cut mine off.

2. Front springs snapping in and out if the perch - there's this indexing notch that can cause this if its not lined up properly.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be the rear trackbar rubbing on a coil. Check for paint scrapes
Old 06-05-2015, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by D_engel
could be the rear trackbar rubbing on a coil. Check for paint scrapes
This or possibly the frame side track bar bolt catching on the rear bumpstop extension on the axle.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

do you ever hear it while driving on the road?

for whatever reason, especially when its raining, i hear a loud popping noise a lot like your video when driving on the street. usually happens when starting from a stand still or going around a corner.

i also had an issue where the rear trackbar bolt on the driver side was hitting my spring (its obvious because you can see the marks on the spring). i reversed the bolt but i still get the popping noise. i need to stick my outdoor camera underneath the jeep and figure my issue out. i will be watching this thread too!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys. i had considered the possibility of the coil snapping into the perch but without a camera or someone being there at the exact moment it happens to witness it its hard to tell.

its possible that its the rear track bar but from the drivers seat it feels very much like the front end making the noise. ill have to look the rear over for scraped and gouged paint but as far as i could see there was no scrapes or gouges anywhere yet, but his is a new issue and hasn't really had time to damage paint yet.

i never hear it on the road yet. my control arm joints have stared creaking allot when i accelerate from a stop but i don't believe its any issue. i didn't think the rear track bar bolt on driver side was close enough to catch the coil so ill give it a look over as soon as i have a chance.

if any one thinks of anything else don't hesitate to post up. ill be heading home in a week and ill be sure to take pics and report on anything i find but in the meantime ideas on what to look for are all good!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

seems odd that your steering wheel got so far out of wack. I would be looking at steering components more then springs.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

You check your from crossmember tube? I bet your swaybar is catching on it.

(See pic). On a rubi - your sway bars go up and down with the suspension travel since you don't manually disco sway bars and that stupid tube is about an inch longer than it should be
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175663641.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	613790  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
seems odd that your steering wheel got so far out of wack. I would be looking at steering components more then springs.
that was the first thing i checked, tie rod is not bent and drag link is fine also. it crossed my mind if the pitman arm had jumped a spline. don't want to pull it off tho unless i absolutely have to. gonna save that for last!

Originally Posted by sea bass
You check your from crossmember tube? I bet your swaybar is catching on it.

(See pic). On a rubi - your sway bars go up and down with the suspension travel since you don't manually disco sway bars and that stupid tube is about an inch longer than it should be
haven't been able to yet but i am definitely curious if thats what has happened. not home for a few days yet and the wife is out of town to so i can't even send her to check it out! soon tho i will see. if thats all it is for me ill be very relieved!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

steering wheels just don't get off by 30* it has to be more then swaybar hitting.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Loud Bang?!