Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help deciding wheel width

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help deciding wheel width

Hey everyone, I just purchased a set of used 37x12.50x15 Trxus tires. I am torn between putting them on an 8 or 10 inch wide wheel. My rig sees more road use than offroad, but when offroad its used pretty hard and I do like to air down. Just wondering what you all may have for an opinion. As well as any reccomendation on 15" wheels to fit...Im looking for an alloy
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

if you like to air down a lot then the narrower the better so 8. it will help keep your bead seated longer. as for a 15" wheel i don't know to small for me. also might want to think about bs too.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all of the potential for interference problems and long term problems with using negative offset wheels, what attracts to you to the 10" wide rims?
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 PM
JK Junkie

10" is a lot. I was debating 8 or 9, went with the 8 so there is less chance of slipping a bead.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
With all of the potential for interference problems and long term problems with using negative offset wheels, what attracts to you to the 10" wide rims?
the 10" wheel will allow the tire tread to have a better contact patch when on pavement, basically flatten out the tread. the 8" wheel is better for airing down while offroad, but also sucks the sidewalls in more causing a more rounded tread making the contact patch more in the center of the tire causing handling problems. Long term problems with negative offset dont really bother me since my plan is to upgrade to a long arm setup and prorock 60's within the next couple of years. I can replace ball joints and bearing assemblies with no problem as I have a very nicely equipped shop (40x80) at my house.

I was looking more for peoples experience with jk's on wide tires with the two different wheel widths. I have owned a ton of jeeps (only 2 JK's) I know on the older yj's I ran with 35"+ tires that I preferred the onroad handling with a wider wheel.

Quick Reply: help deciding wheel width