Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help deciding on a drive shaft

Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding on a drive shaft

OK, after reading all the horor stories about pinion nuts and pre-load, I am considering a driveshaft that allows the use of the OE flanges at the T-Case and axel. Can anyone tell me what the disadvantages of keeping the OE flanges are. The advantage of a much easier install seem obvious, but I'm sure there is a reason people change the flanges.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OE flanges are definitely a weak design and using them when aftermarket shafts are designed to use much better ones just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know the horror stories you speak of... I read a lot, did it myself and it came out fine. You can definitely torque them down yourself to a certain lb and there won't be a problem.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aermotor
OE flanges are definitely a weak design and using them when aftermarket shafts are designed to use much better ones just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know the horror stories you speak of... I read a lot, did it myself and it came out fine. You can definitely torque them down yourself to a certain lb and there won't be a problem.
Actually the OE flanges are very strong, it's the OE driveshafts that are weak. Aftermarket yolks make for an easier trail repair and also put the ds closer to the tcase therefore decreasing the angle and vibration that would come from a double carden shaft if OE flanges are used.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Actually the OE flanges are very strong, it's the OE driveshafts that are weak. Aftermarket yolks make for an easier trail repair and also put the ds closer to the tcase therefore decreasing the angle and vibration that would come from a double carden shaft if OE flanges are used.
what mk said. the biggest gripe i have with the flanges is that you typcially have vibration issues with them. if you're worried about not installing your shaft correctly, take it to a shop that knows how to do it by the book and with a fine in lb torque wrench and they'll get it on right. shops like northridge4x4 pride themselves on doing it this way.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine because I did not like the design of the OE’s. They would be a pain to change on the trail and would be a lot harder to fins if you need a replacement. I went with the 1310 because it is the most common and you can find part every place. Change the yokes is always my suggestion.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what mk said. the biggest gripe i have with the flanges is that you typcially have vibration issues with them. if you're worried about not installing your shaft correctly, take it to a shop that knows how to do it by the book and with a fine in lb torque wrench and they'll get it on right. shops like northridge4x4 pride themselves on doing it this way.
THe OE flanges are very heavy .... by swapping out the factory shafts and flanges your probably saving around 10 or 15 lbs ....

I used a Tatton shaft which came with new flanges ... it very easy to swap. Torque to TC flange to around 60lbs .... and the Pinion flange to around 160lbs ... I've got 2500 miles on my new DS and flanges with no issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3" lift, an auto and the stock shafts. I tried a well known brand front shaft that included proper yokes. I installed it to specs and bought upper and lower ca to dial in the pinion. I still had a vibration and because of previous attempts to correct vibrations on a ZJ, I sent the shaft back and went back to the stock shaft. Thefront and rear both run smooth and are fine after 10,000 miles. I know the front will probably give up in the next 10,000 miles, but I just bought a pair of OE shafts w/1500 miles on them for $200. Unless I break one, this is a better option for me. I've got no vibrations and a good castor angle for handling.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a drive shaft