Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!!Dana axel locker sensor

Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!Dana axel locker sensor

I replaced mine without taking the differential cover off and take in the carrier out. It caused some kind of problem where it sounds like there's a chunk of metal in my rear end and the wheels jerk and lock up I need to know how to reverse whatever I did wrong
Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

See the picture, below. The sensor must extend over the plate. If it doesn't, it can keep the locker locked, or, worse, partially locked. The noise you hear may be the square dog teeth slipping past each other because they are only partially engaged.

Some people have "successfully" installed the sensor without removing the differential. They report that it took quite a bit of finagling. There is the possibility of bending the plunger.
The best fix is to install it with the differential removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana44_TruLoc_Differential_Locker.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	675610
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for this. I removed the sensor (undamaged) but I believe something is partially engaging. The tires will grab and drag as I'm pulling forward. There has to be a way of reversing what ever I triggered. My diff cover is off idk what it supposed to look like in there. The dog clutch can flat on the right or pushed back to the left. Do you have any more suggestion. My next move is a flatbed truck to take it to a 4WD store in Memphis. I live in rural Arkansas so that will cost
Old 10-19-2017, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can I send you some pics or a short video. If I can inbox me ur number or email.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mudrider
Can I send you some pics or a short video. If I can inbox me ur number or email.
Can you post them in this thread?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hope this helps. Had to go thru garage talk app to post pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo26.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	675614   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo763.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	675615  
Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

With the cover off, you should be able to look in, over the locker actuator, and see which side of the plate the sensor plunger is on.

On mine, a dime will go into the gap pointed to in the picture. A penny will not go into it without spreading it a little.

It looks like the anti-rotation tab on yours is not engaged with the slot. Is that true? Or, is it the camera angle that makes it look so?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D44 Locker Close-up.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	675616  

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-19-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry it took so long to reply. It won't notify me. I think it was partially locked in. I realize the electronic sensor is a sensor but its function is to engage the locker as well right? If it's not properly installed I can't technically lock the rear in. My logic is if I easily took out the sensor with the carrier in why can't I re install it. The original sensor wasn't damaged when I took it out. There was a wire broken on the exterior of the diff. I can fit a penny in the gap and the tab is ok. It was the angle and black grease. I tried to upload pics but couldn't. I've gotten the popping noise to go away everything looks to be right with the exception of the sensor. If I put it in and tighten it down it pushes the dogclutch thing halfway over and I think that's what was partially engaging the locker?!?how did I slide that plunger out if the lip of it should've been on the left side of that ring plate
Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by mudrider
I realize the electronic sensor is a sensor but its function is to engage the locker as well right? If it's not properly installed I can't technically lock the rear in.
The sensor basically just triggers the light on your dash to signify the diff is locked. It does not have any function in actually engaging the locker. The electrical for engaging/disengaging the locker is controlled by the other plug running in the diff. That said, in a factory rubi set up the rear sensor may play a roll in being able to engaged the front locker.....as the rear has to be locked before the front can be locked....and if the jeep doesn't think the rear is locked, it might prohibit the front from locking. I trigger my lockers off an sPOD independently of each other, so don't have to deal with any of that. I don't have anything running to the sensors at all.....but I can see how on a factory rubi this could potentially cause an issue if the sensor is not working properly....if that is indeed the case.

Obviously trying to jam it back in is causing a problem. You need to get the lip of the sensor on the left side of the actuator ring. Unfortunately this might mean what Ronjenx referred to earlier......end up having to pull the carrier out a bit and then reinstall. Typically you're messing with this sensor when regearing, so it's not a big deal....you either hold the sensor in the engaged position with a little spacer while inserting the locker again, or you just carefully get it in place when reinstalling the locker. If careless, you can easily bend the sensor. Unfortunately I think this little snafu is gonna cost you a bit more labor time in repairing.

Quick Reply: Help!!Dana axel locker sensor