Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help choosing bumpers

Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing bumpers

Finally got approval from the boss to get bumpers for the Jeep. Now I just need to decide which ones. I don't plan on doing any extreme trails so I'm looking for a full width front bumper that doesn't break the bank and something that somewhat matches for the rear. I'm more concerned with full front protection over trails. I've looked at quite a few but can only come up with Rugged Ridge modular as the one that seems to fit the bill. I've seen a thread on the LOD full width but haven't seen price or availability. Does anyone have any other ideas for a front bumper in the same price range as a Rugged Ridge or slightly higher that is full width? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a look at Shrockworks bumpers. They make a stout product that looks good too!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the looks of the ARB but the price with the fog lights is close to $900 and I would have to deal with the marker lights in the bumper.
I like the looks of the Shrockworks but I couldn't find a full width for the JK on their website. Do they make on that is full width? Also, I've heard there are long lead times?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RDakota
Finally got approval from the boss to get bumpers for the Jeep. Now I just need to decide which ones. I don't plan on doing any extreme trails so I'm looking for a full width front bumper that doesn't break the bank and something that somewhat matches for the rear. I'm more concerned with full front protection over trails. I've looked at quite a few but can only come up with Rugged Ridge modular as the one that seems to fit the bill. I've seen a thread on the LOD full width but haven't seen price or availability. Does anyone have any other ideas for a front bumper in the same price range as a Rugged Ridge or slightly higher that is full width? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have the Rugged Ridge stubby with stinger and love it however if you add on the wings to make it a full width you will run into problems with larger tires. I have heard many reports of people with as little as 33's rubbing.

My favorite full width is Expedition One. Their rear bumper is nice as well.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wasn't planning on going too much larger with tires in the future but 33's might be a problem. I'll take a look at the Expedition One. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took a quick look at the Expedition One, it's nice but over $1K, too much for me.

I found 2 ARB bumpers. One without the factory fogs and one with. The one with doesn't have d rings and it's $900. What I meant by the markers is that I didn't care for them in the bumper. But it's probably something I could deal with. (Wiring wouldn't be an issue at all). Is there a way to add drings to this bumper? It's at the upper end of my price range but it does look nice. Especially if I want to get both front and rear.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the RR XHD stubby and love it so far. Plan on getting the end caps to make it full in a few weeks.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

How was the install? I've heard good and bad. The more I look the more I'm leaning toward the RR. There are alot of good looking bumpers out there but some of the prices are up there, especially since I'm looking to use the stock fogs, want a hoop and winch.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed a rugged ridge front bumper, rear bumper and tire carrier. The front bumper was by far the easiest and didn't take me long at all. Once you get the stock bumper off, it is a piece of cake. I did quite a bit of research, and RR was IMO the best value.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm starting to loook at the RR also. I like to look of the LOD but the price is higher than I want to go.

Quick Reply: Help choosing bumpers