Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Caster

Old 02-02-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheemsaf
Just checking, but is your front driveshaft OEM? Once you start messing with your pinion/caster angle you may cause issues with your boot seal on the OEM driveshaft up near the transfer case side. Normally with only a 2.5" lift, it won't make a difference/won't be detrimental to it. Just making sure your alignment shop wasn't doing something weird to correct pinion angle for the lift and consequently your caster angle. Although it'd be difficult without adjustable upper or lower FCAs.
Yes still have a stock driveshaft. The shop cannot adjust anything except toe since everything is a fixed length stock.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstikel3
I know this will fix my caster issue but will reduce my clearance. I am deciding whether to go with fixed or adjustable front LCAs. I would prefer fixed if it will get me back close to recommended caster.
I doubt you would even notice the clearance issue. It is so close to the front tire it almost means nothing...

If your talking about AEV geometry correction brackets or similar they are about the least understood upgrade available. Read up on them on aev's sight. They do not do the same thing as control arms. They do something similar but different and more and less. Control arms rotate the axle but don't address the angles like a drop bracket does.

Think of a wheel barrel. If you hit bumps holding the handles high, it is hating as you go over bumps. If you hold the handles low and decrease the attack glue to the numbs it rolls right over. That is the extra benefit you get from drop brackets and they address both upper and lower arms angles. Adjustable control arms can't do that but they do give your finite adjustability, more strength, better flex, and more clearance. I had these AEV brackets for a while and the improved ride with stock arms was shocking. But I wanted more flex so I took them off and went to CA's. More clearance (which was really never an issue), and better articulation.

If your a daily driver and 2.5-3.5 lift I would suggest start with the AEV correction brackets and move up from there. They will improve your ride and set your castor where it should be. U can always upgrade further to arms later.

Northridge 4x4
Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
I doubt you would even notice the clearance issue. It is so close to the front tire it almost means nothing... If your talking about AEV geometry correction brackets or similar they are about the least understood upgrade available. Read up on them on aev's sight. They do not do the same thing as control arms. They do something similar but different and more and less. Control arms rotate the axle but don't address the angles like a drop bracket does. Think of a wheel barrel. If you hit bumps holding the handles high, it is hating as you go over bumps. If you hold the handles low and decrease the attack glue to the numbs it rolls right over. That is the extra benefit you get from drop brackets and they address both upper and lower arms angles. Adjustable control arms can't do that but they do give your finite adjustability, more strength, better flex, and more clearance. I had these AEV brackets for a while and the improved ride with stock arms was shocking. But I wanted more flex so I took them off and went to CA's. More clearance (which was really never an issue), and better articulation. If your a daily driver and 2.5-3.5 lift I would suggest start with the AEV correction brackets and move up from there. They will improve your ride and set your castor where it should be. U can always upgrade further to arms later. Northridge 4x4
Thank you for the explanation. I should have stated that I am looking to not only improve drivability, but improved clearance and articulation as well. I have been dealing with this for a while but with EJS coming up and driving there from NC that is going to be a lot of highway time.

Last edited by jstikel3; 02-02-2016 at 04:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Help with Caster