Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Caster

Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Caster

So I've had a 2" OME lift and 35s on my 2007 2dr JK for a couple years now and I am tired of the flighty feeling on the highway. I am looking at adding some front lower LCA (looking at synergy fixed and adjustable) to address this issue. After bumper, winch, etc I netted 2.5" of lift. I am not going to put a larger lift or tires on I am happy with where I am at. My question is:

I had 2 shops do an alignment after adding a new tie rod and the caster was way off from what i expected. One shop's specs were 2.2* and 1.9* while the other 2.9* and 2.8*. Does this seem way off for such a mild lift? Since I don't plan on going any higher my thought would be the fixed would be perfect fix my problem until i saw these numbers. Please help and any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am wondering if there may be something else going to cause this.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jstikel3
So I've had a 2" OME lift and 35s on my 2007 2dr JK for a couple years now and I am tired of the flighty feeling on the highway. I am looking at adding some front lower LCA (looking at synergy fixed and adjustable) to address this issue. After bumper, winch, etc I netted 2.5" of lift. I am not going to put a larger lift or tires on I am happy with where I am at. My question is:

I had 2 shops do an alignment after adding a new tie rod and the caster was way off from what i expected. One shop's specs were 2.2* and 1.9* while the other 2.9* and 2.8*. Does this seem way off for such a mild lift? Since I don't plan on going any higher my thought would be the fixed would be perfect fix my problem until i saw these numbers. Please help and any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am wondering if there may be something else going to cause this.
Your tie rod doesn't correct caster, it affects toe-in. You will need the adjustable control arms to correct caster. I'd purchase adjustable over any fixed ones as it'll give you the best results.

Your caster should be at +4.2 degrees or as close as you can get to it.... maybe a bit more.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I understand my tie rod has nothing to do with my caster I just pulled my alignment specs from having it done when I upgraded it. I was just really surprised to see the caster so low with just a 2.5"lift. I want to make sure something isn't bent to cause such a low caster.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Every jeep is different. The Synergy arms are +1/4 so should give 1-1.5° bump.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Every jeep is different. The Synergy arms are +1/4 so should give 1-1.5° bump.
So you think I'd be fine with synergy's fixed arms?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Looking at the chart they provide with those arms:

3" lift = 5.0°
2" lift = 5.5°

As noted, all vehicles and lifts will be a little different, but from that info you should end up near 5.25° of caster. You'll be good to go. (personally, I like the ability to fine tune with adjustables, but you should have no issue with fixed.)
Old 02-01-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jstikel3

Addressed this by installing drop brackets. Restoring stock geometry.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pape
Addressed this by installing drop brackets. Restoring stock geometry.
I know this will fix my caster issue but will reduce my clearance. I am deciding whether to go with fixed or adjustable front LCAs. I would prefer fixed if it will get me back close to recommended caster.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

I would pay the money for LCA adjustable.. Don't have to go with synergy cheaper out there. RK adj.LCA are $299

Last edited by Scott777; 02-01-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checking, but is your front driveshaft OEM? Once you start messing with your pinion/caster angle you may cause issues with your boot seal on the OEM driveshaft up near the transfer case side. Normally with only a 2.5" lift, it won't make a difference/won't be detrimental to it. Just making sure your alignment shop wasn't doing something weird to correct pinion angle for the lift and consequently your caster angle. Although it'd be difficult without adjustable upper or lower FCAs.

Quick Reply: Help with Caster