Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP - CAN'T SLEEP UNTIL I FIX A PROBLEM installing a 2.5 lift....

Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once u get the sway bar flipped up the endlinks will not rub on the tires. Pintlers have proper backspacing. once its flipped up then sit it back on the ground and turn steering wheel to align the trackbar at the axle mount
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi, if you havent fixed the issue yet. Here is my suggestion. Are you using the sway bar links that came with the kit or are you using the stock sway bar links from the rear of the vehicle?? If you still have the rear sway bar links, I would adjust the sway bar so that it is in the propor posiion, put the rear sway bar links on the front.If you have to run without a sway bar, it is safer to not have the rear sway bar than to drive without the front. Again, I am not familiar with that kit and not sure if it comes with sway bar links or utilizes the stock links?? The sway bar link in the pic looked rather short, so I was banking on those being the stock front links.If I am wrong, then I guess, just disregard this, hahaha

Am I right, that if the sway bar links are too short for the lift, that can cause the sway bar to flip over like it did in the pic? That is why it is important to disconnect the swaybar when wheeling, Correct?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MangoWilly
Hi, if you havent fixed the issue yet. Here is my suggestion. Are you using the sway bar links that came with the kit or are you using the stock sway bar links from the rear of the vehicle?? If you still have the rear sway bar links, I would adjust the sway bar so that it is in the propor posiion, put the rear sway bar links on the front.If you have to run without a sway bar, it is safer to not have the rear sway bar than to drive without the front. Again, I am not familiar with that kit and not sure if it comes with sway bar links or utilizes the stock links?? The sway bar link in the pic looked rather short, so I was banking on those being the stock front links.If I am wrong, then I guess, just disregard this, hahaha

Am I right, that if the sway bar links are too short for the lift, that can cause the sway bar to flip over like it did in the pic? That is why it is important to disconnect the swaybar when wheeling, Correct?
the aev kit retains the front factory links by utilizing a bracket up front. the bracket mounts to the frame in the original link location and the link then mounts to the bracket....its basically an extension.

OP...any updates on progress of flipping the sway bar?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

AND I'M DONE.

Just finished getting everything torqued- I haven't twisted into so many awkward positions since college. Took at stab at aligning the steering wheel and will give it a test drive tomorrow morning. Tires/wheels can finally go on tomorrow as well.

Big big thanks to Scott08X for stopping by the house to help out. He even brought his OEM sway bar end links to replace the ones that I had busted up.
[h=5][/h]
With Scott's help, got the sway bar + sway bar end links positioned correctly and addressed the track bar. Got some good advice as well on wrenching, local trails, and general jeep stuff. Nice to meet another jeeper from the forum.

I'm way too tired for pics, detail, etc. but THANK YOU EVERYONE for all your help. Off to bed.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

That's awesome! Glad you got it resolved. The first install is always the worst. It gets better and easier. Way to stick it out tho! You are offically a Jeep enthusiast.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

I've been following this thread not being able to offer any help since I could not swing by de to proximity. Everything everyone posted is consistent with what I would have suggested.

I am really happy to hear that you worked this out and that someone was able to stop by and help. This forum and the Jeep Nation in general is awesome like that.

RC is correct. The first one is the hardest. But you learn your Jeep! When I installed my suspension it took me 20+ hours and it was just shocks, springs, and some relocation brackets and links. Now I could probably do it in 3-4 hrs with the right tools and one extra set of hands.

You should be proud of yourself. There is nothing like talking to someone about your Jeep and ring able to describe how you worked on each mod. And if you or anyone else ver breaks down in the trail, you are more prepared to deal with a fix.

Congrats! Really happy it is worked out!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

This thread is awesome.

This is what forums are for.

Good job on not being afraid to ask for help.

And it's awesome for the ones that offered advice and actual labor!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

congratulations!!!! glad you finally got it setup properly. Scott08X...good stuff man coming to the rescue there.

OP..did the links sit properly once the brackets were mounted inward of the tabs and the links inward of the brackets?

Post pics as soon as you recover!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got this finished! Bravo to Scott08X for stopping by and helping out.

If it were me, given the trouble you had, I would go back through and make sure everything it torqued down right and then mark the bolts with a paint pen...just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Congratulations!!!! I have been following this thread from the beginning. My hats off to you for sticking it out and getting your lift installed. beer!

Quick Reply: HELP - CAN'T SLEEP UNTIL I FIX A PROBLEM installing a 2.5 lift....