Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP - CAN'T SLEEP UNTIL I FIX A PROBLEM installing a 2.5 lift....

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP - CAN'T SLEEP UNTIL I FIX A PROBLEM installing a 2.5 lift....

Hi folks,

ILong story short, I'm a noob and trying my hand at a suspension lift install (AEV 2.5"). I can only work on the lift at night after work when the baby is sleeping, so this is my 3rd night and I'm still at it.

Rear is done (shocks, coils, brakelines, everything torqued except UCAs and LCAs). Front driveshaft is connected; UCAs and LCAs were loosened up and axle-side trackbar bolt is out (all per AEV's instructions). Floor jack is supporting the diff, two 6-ton jackstands are supporting the frame, and I have jackstands under the wheels to help flex. Both coils are in and indexed properly. Passenger side shock is in. So I'm just about ready to put the tires on but have run into a problem that I just can't figure out. I've been at it for hours now and am really considering calling / paying a mechanic to come by.

Here it is:

I absolutely can NOT get the driver's side shock to line up properly in the axle mount. The first time I installed it, I started at the top mount and got everything in fine. Used an allan wrench to prevent the shock from spinning, no problems. I couldn't get the bottom holes in the shock to line up properly though- one side is always too high compared to the other. I can't get things to level out so that I can slide the bolt through. Also, the shock was pressed up against the frame tight which seemed out to me since it would be rubbing against the jeep all day if that was they way it was supposed to sit.

I figured I get the other side going and come back to it. Again, no big problems getting the passenger side shock in. Used a dremel for clearance and we're all good.

So I come back to it and try everything possible to line up the shock with the axle mount and it isn't working. At all. I've played with jackstands on the diff, passenger, and driver side trying to get things as level as possible, but still can't do it. After seeing that the passenger side shock wasn't touch the frame at all (it was perfectly vertical with plenty of clearance from the body), I removed the driver's side shock from the upper mount. I put it back in focusing on getting the shock completely vertical (and therefore away from the body). It's in there again, but now it's left the bottom of the shock on the outside of the axle mount enough so that I can't get it to squeeze in (if you're looking down on it, the shock is on the right side of the axle mount, or closer to you/the wheel). Even if I could shove it in the axle mount, I can tell by the looks of it that it still wouldn't level out, the bottom of the shock is at an angle compared to the axle mount.

Here are a few other pieces of context that might help:

-It's in 4-Lo so that the driveshaft would lock and bolts could come out.
-Sway barlinks are have been re-connected (per AEV instructions)
-I was playing with the steering wheel a bit throughout the entire front install and later noticed when I could no longer turn the wheel side to side) that the trackbar had come completely out of it's housing and was locked against the steering stabilizer. Thinking that this might be the problem, I removed the trackbar and reinstalled it with just the frame-side bolt in. The steering wheel still won't turn anything, not sure if this affects anything.

I've been at this install FOR THREE DAYS and HAVE to finish up so that I can go back to work.

Can any seasoned wrenchers out there help diagnose what's wrong?
Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

install at axle mount first...then lower vehicle onto wheels guiding the shock into its top location and tighten top shock nut. it sounds like your axle is shifted side to side..thats why the shock is touching the frame. sit it on the ground and turn steering wheel to align trackbar holes or push vehicle side to side and the shock should be fine. vehicle should be on ground when aligning the trackbar

Last edited by rtguy1; 05-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rtguy1
install at axle mount first...then lower vehicle onto wheels guiding the shock into its top location and tighten top shock nut. it sounds like your axle is shifted side to side..thats why the shock is touching the frame. sit it on the ground and turn steering wheel to align trackbar holes or push vehicle side to side and the shock should be fine. vehicle should be on ground when aligning the trackbar

THANK YOU- will try that. Saw your post on the other forum as well, appreciate it.

Eric
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pics just in case:

Here you can see the shock on the outside of the axle mount:

Shock jammed against the frame:

Shock not jammed up on frame if I just focus on install the top mount perfectly vertical (not lined up with axle mount):
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Freak

looks like the axle is just shifted over...try my suggestion...should work out for you. much easier to get the axle and trackbar lined up when its on the ground too.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
JK Junkie

It looks like your axle has shifted, even your coils look bent. Question, do you still have your track bar mounted/bolted on? If so that could be contributing to the clearance issue you are having... Keep us posted and best of luck on the install. It's going to be worth it at the end
Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
It looks like your axle has shifted, even your coils look bent. Question, do you still have your track bar mounted/bolted on? If so that could be contributing to the clearance issue you are having... Keep us posted and best of luck on the install. It's going to be worth it at the end
the coils are tweaked a bit as well....he said he has the trackbar mounted only at the frameside so it should be ok. i think if he lowers the vehicle on its own weight to align the axle the shock should line right up
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New Problem - Sway Bar Endlnk busted?

got the jeep on the ground and there's definitely an issue with the axle being shifted. I was worried about the sway bar links as well- long story short I think there's a design flaw and the install directions are really vague.

My guess is that I installed the swaybar end link on the wrong side of the new AEV bracket. Kelsey on here showed me a picture of his a few days ago and it was on the other side that I placed mine.

Here's what mine looked like:

I removed the sway bar endlink completely. Ball joint looks fine. But the otherside- the "housing" (i don't know the right term) came loose.

Doesn't look like I can just shove it back in the housing. Suggestions? Can I drive without this? It's 20 miles to the dealer.

Last edited by ealive; 05-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can just push it back through. The bolts will hold the bushing in place in the end. And you can run with the links disconnected. We actually prefer this off road. Just tie your sway bar up! (zip tie or bungee cord) I wouldn't take any sharp turns or get on interstate tho because it will sway some
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GulfCoastJeeper
I'm pretty sure you can just push it back through. The bolts will hold the bushing in place in the end. And you can run with the links disconnected. We actually prefer this off road. Just tie your sway bar up! (zip tie or bungee cord) I wouldn't take any sharp turns or get on interstate tho because it will sway some
Thanks. Any tips on pushing it back through? It's fighting me like a bastard.

Quick Reply: HELP - CAN'T SLEEP UNTIL I FIX A PROBLEM installing a 2.5 lift....