Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with bf goodrich all terrain selection

Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with bf goodrich all terrain selection

Hi guys, im currently pricing tires right now and have a question. Im looking at 35" bf goodrich all terrain KO. I do about 85% daily city driving and 15% offroad split between sand and light trails. I see 2 models of the 315/70r17 on the discount tire website. The only difference i'm seeing is the speed rating and the price. Are there any other differences? Which do most go with?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 AM
CFA
JK Newbie

The older model is the lesser of the two and the newer is suppose to have some type of different tread wearing capabilities. Nonetheless I chose the newer mainly of the load rating and the warranty. Good luck with your purchase

http://

Last edited by CFA; 08-08-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to say without a link but is the load rating different? If so I would go with the lighter load rating for your kind of driving.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice rig CFA

Sorry about that. Here are the links. The load rating is the same for both, 121 from the BF Goodrich web site.

S Rating
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the San Antonio - West Area - Discount Tire/America's Tire

R Rating
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the San Antonio - West Area - Discount Tire/America's Tire
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never thought I'd hear Speed rating, 35"s and Jeep in the same sentence!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firelyle
Haha I agree, although I have been hitting about 80-85 comfortably with this lift alone on some Texas highways
Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
CFA
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Firelyle
Lol your right I meant load rating...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 AM
JK Freak

i have those exact tires. i played hell trying to figure out the difference between the two tires when i got mine. finally after a call to bfg i was told that the gm tire (the R rated tire) is NOT snow rated eventhough it does say that on the discount tire page. the gm tire is the oe tire for the hummer h2. the s rated tire is the oe ford tire and has snow rating and additional siping for wet traction. long storyy short the ford tire is the better of the two and its a little bit cheaper. i love mine...they are great on the highway and aired down offroad.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0197.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	351870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0221.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	351871
Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 AM
JK Freak

I ran into this same problem over a yer ago. I noticed there where two different T/A KOs in the same size. I made a call and was told that one tire came with raised white letters and the other did not have white letters on either side.

When I made my purchase I mixed up what they told me and I recieved five tires with no white letters. I wanted the white letters.

I did not buy mine through discount tire. I think it was 4WD. What they told me may have been wrong but I wanted to throw that out there.

I would give discount a call and ask them.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I did see the F for Ford OEM equipped and GM for the Hummer on the BFG Website. Looks like the cheaper F tire seems to be the better tire at a lower price. I'm a fan of the white lettering facing in

Quick Reply: Help with bf goodrich all terrain selection