Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with ball joints!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
im still hearing there both made by omi-hda? My alloys mcame in a omix-hda box. Anyone know if this is true?
Alloys are made by omix, no idea on Synergy though.....I wouldn't think so though :what:

http://www.alloyusa.com/u-joints.html (scroll to the bottom where it says a division of Omix-ada).

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Alloys are made by omix, no idea on Synergy though.....I wouldn't think so though :what:

U-Joints for Jeeps With Dana 30 or Dana 44 - AlloyUSA.com (scroll to the bottom where it says a division of Omix-ada).

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
yeah i know the alloys are, but if i recall correctly 4 wheel parts said the synergy were also omix hda just relabled, they even showed me in there computer where they each had the same omix hda number for the manufacturer number. Unless there system was just set up that way to help them sell either.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been running Synergy's for awhile now, Just grease them up with every oil change. Couldn't beat 200 for all 4. Rented the tool from Auto zone and got them done in a day.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
yeah i know the alloys are, but if i recall correctly 4 wheel parts said the synergy were also omix hda just relabled, they even showed me in there computer where they each had the same omix hda number for the manufacturer number. Unless there system was just set up that way to help them sell either.
I would say no... there was a discussion on JKO a while back where Dave from synergy (Pig) talked about the differences. Synergy got their hands on some Alloys when they first came out and took them apart to compare with theirs... there are pics showing how close they are...

The internals are generally the same (since the alloys are pretty much a reverse engineered copy) but synergy's are formed from a sintering process, and post machined. Alloy's appear to be machined from stock. They're both chromoly... EDIT I just went back and looked at one thread and Alloy (Rugged Ridge) claims they use both 4120 and 4140...

Also, the way they are assembled is slightly different. It has something to do with the way the lower is preloaded at assembly. The uppers are pretty much the same, however.

To the OP, synergy and alloy are good, greasable, chromo joints out of the box. About the same price. I would prefer the original, sold by an american owned and run company (even if the guts are mfg'ed over seas), than buy from Alloy. Dynatrac are more expensive, but give you the option of being rebuildable should they ever wear out.

I would argue they're all of equal or close to strength, and huge improvments over stock.

Last edited by JKred; 12-20-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred
I would say no... there was a discussion on JKO a while back where Dave from synergy (Pig) talked about the differences. Synergy got their hands on some Alloys when they first came out and took them apart to compare with theirs... there are pics showing how close they are...

The internals are generally the same (since the alloys are pretty much a reverse engineered copy) but synergy's are formed from a sintering process, and post machined. Alloy's appear to be machined from stock. They're both 4340(or 4130, can't remember) chromoly...

Also, the way they are assembled is slightly different. It has something to do with the way the lower is preloaded at assembly. The uppers are pretty much the same, however.

To the OP, synergy and alloy are good, greasable, chromo joints out of the box. About the same price. I would prefer the original, sold by an american owned and run company (even if the guts are mfg'ed over seas), than buy from Alloy. Dynatrac are more expensive, but give you the option of being rebuildable should they ever wear out.

I would argue they're all of equal or close to strength, and huge improvments over stock.

Thanks for the info, ive been wondering since they showed me that awhile back, I obviously didnt research it enough.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Made an edit to my above post about material type. If you search JKO you can find some of the old thread.

One very important thing to point out that I forgot before:
UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED RECENTLY, ALLOY BALL JOINTS WILL NOT WORK WITH RCV AXLES. THE LOWER BALL JOINT CUTS INTO THE BOOT ON THE RCV SHAFT.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

I want thank everyone for their input. I think I'm gonna go with the synergy greats able joints. My rig got stuck 48 hours after the lift and tires were put in and it seems it broke everything with the steering, ball joints, drive shaft and front gear diff. Pretty much grenaded everything sitting under the engine. Thanks for helping me decide how to rebuild this thing RIGHT!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

like everyone else Synergy so you wont be sorry great choice.

Quick Reply: Help with ball joints!