Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help- axle is leaking

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knock on wood , don't have issues with customers jeeps or my own when doing this what I have issues is we go wheel HARD and then my passenger side front develops a leak....stops but for some reason locked up in the rocks makes it weep...got new seals as well...
Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I had to replace the seals in mine. The leak was small, but persistent. Other than oil at the axle C and spotting on the ground, there was no other evidence of the leak. Ultimately, it was caused by mud trapped behind the "dust" seals that come with the EVO axle sleeves. Not only did the seal get damaged, but it also damaged the chromoly shaft on the driver's side where the seal runs against it. Had the shaft machined down, replaced both inner axle seals, and removed the EVO "dust" seals--permanently. Bad idea on their part, IMHO, because it traps sand grains (I drive occasionally through rivers with quicksand beds). Moderate pain in the rear to do the job, but not all of that bad. Most challenging part was inserting the new seal because the factory service manual calls for a special tool--basically a turnbuckle press you insert into the diffy and press both seals in simultaneously from inside. We ended up with a 2" (IIRC) piece of pipe that we welded a flat plate onto covering the opening on one side, then a long piece of 1" (IIRC) pipe that we inserted all of the way from outside of the axle to hammer the seal in on the opposite side--insert "special tool" and seal on driver's side, insert rod through passenger side tube, pound away. Do other direction for other seal, but be careful to not damage already installed seal as you push pipe through it. It worked, just hope I don't have to do it again too soon!

Quick Reply: Help- axle is leaking