Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help asap, abs problem scairy to drive dont know waht to do.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help asap, abs problem scairy to drive dont know waht to do.

HELLO, i have a 2011 jk sahara. i have 38x13.5 r20 nitto mud grapplers on a 4.5-6 inch sky jacker lift kit. i never really have problems driving this beast and because drive in and around new york city i rarely off road mostly in winter. Just this week on monday i went to go pick up my father from work as i do 5 times a week and as i pull off i see a garbage can in my way on the street so i avoid it then gas it i think i might have accidentally gassed it too fast and my abs came on and hasent turned off. now a few days later the light goes off and its like nothing ever happened. And again yesterday i went to pick him up and as i started the car the light went off again. I figured its ok it will proably turn off again. TOday i went to go food shopping and was very confused the light went off but the abs did not work. it was later when i got into the car and attempted to go home i had to take the highway back and when i was about to leave the store parking lot the abs turned off and would not let me drive. i kept pressing the gas but abs kept breaking the cas to a stop. before i got on the high way i turned abs off to get home and ever since i have been driving with abs off and honestly its pretty scairy because the car drives differently with abs off. it feels like before the car was helping me balance the steering a little bit now it feels like i have more controll by my self no assisted help. it might not seem like a big deal but with really big tires like this its different. I dont know what to do because i never had problems with my abs before. I need help asap dont feel like spending alot of money going to the dealer dont even have warranty or anything like that.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkbro510
HELLO, i have a 2011 jk sahara. i have 38x13.5 r20 nitto mud grapplers on a 4.5-6 inch sky jacker lift kit. i never really have problems driving this beast and because drive in and around new york city i rarely off road mostly in winter. Just this week on monday i went to go pick up my father from work as i do 5 times a week and as i pull off i see a garbage can in my way on the street so i avoid it then gas it i think i might have accidentally gassed it too fast and my abs came on and hasent turned off. now a few days later the light goes off and its like nothing ever happened. And again yesterday i went to pick him up and as i started the car the light went off again. I figured its ok it will proably turn off again. TOday i went to go food shopping and was very confused the light went off but the abs did not work. it was later when i got into the car and attempted to go home i had to take the highway back and when i was about to leave the store parking lot the abs turned off and would not let me drive. i kept pressing the gas but abs kept breaking the cas to a stop. before i got on the high way i turned abs off to get home and ever since i have been driving with abs off and honestly its pretty scairy because the car drives differently with abs off. it feels like before the car was helping me balance the steering a little bit now it feels like i have more controll by my self no assisted help. it might not seem like a big deal but with really big tires like this its different. I dont know what to do because i never had problems with my abs before. I need help asap dont feel like spending alot of money going to the dealer dont even have warranty or anything like that.
I have no idea why this is happening to you, i'm a newbie when it comes to JK's, but if i had to guess, and again, this is just me guessing, would it be possible that your ESP is going nuts ? hopefully somebody with the knowledge would chime in, I have the Superchips flashcal, and that is supposed to take care about the ESP after lift ?
Good luck
Old 08-22-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

thx for the help. i am also not sure i had a chip installed on my jeep about two years ago when i got my car lifted and the tires installed. i forgot the brand but the car was reprogrammed back then cost me like 500 bucks for the chip. came pry programmed from the company.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this will help but is your steering wheel centered or could your jolt have uncentered the steering wheel. If that's the case just adjust your steering wheel back to center, this may be an easy fix or you may have bent something.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

i thought of that already my steering is fine just the abs is malfunctioning or something not sure whats wrong with it. it keeps working for no reason it feels faulty or something like that.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

The height, the SJ lift, poor geometry. Wide tires w/ little sidewall. Sorry to be blunt but thats a shit setup.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your steering wheel perfectly straight when going straight? If not, that will cause it. There are sensors for steering wheel position and one at every wheel. If your steering wheel isn't straight, it thinks you are turning. If your wheel speed sensors are reading the same speed, it assumes you have lost traction and the traction control will turn on.

When it wasn't letting you go anywhere, that is what is referred to as "limp mode." Happens when things are so screwed up, the computer basically doesn't let you drive so you don't break shit.

There are so many possible issues. I'd start with the steering wheel not being perfectly straight. If not that, it could be one of the speed sensors at the wheels going bad (not all that uncommon). Another is that after a lift and adjusting the steering, you need to use a programmer to reset the steering to zero in the computer (even though the wheel is straight, you need to tell the computer it's straight).

With that lift and tire size, I'd expect all of your steering joints to be trashed. Could just be that all your joints are worn and can't keep things straight. Even in a stock jeep, a good gust of wind on the highway can trigger the traction control.

Lastly, as noted above, you are likely just experiencing the issues of a really shitty lift kit.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I would say speed sensor is dirty or crapped out on you! Go to auto parts store that can pull abs codes! It will tell which wheel sensor is bad. Pull sensor, clean and put dielectric grease on plug. Put back and go for drive! If still throwing code try replacing sensor! Mine lights just came on today again! Cleaned rear ones and put back in took care of it.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect you have a bad wheel sensor. For some reason the right front wheel seems to be the one that goes bad most often. And as much as you hate taking it to a dealership, they seem to have the best set up for figuring out ABS problems.

I had a 4-wheel drive shop with a good reputation intall a set of Dynatrac Pro Rock 60s on my 2014 JK, and they had problems with an ABS sensor right off the bat. They had to replace the right front sensor to get it working, just to get it out of their shop. But ABS problems surfaced again on the very first off road trip. They worked on it again, and supposedly fixed it again. But a few months later ABS problems came up again. The ABS would come on, and start applying the brakes, even in low range when the light on the dash said the system was turned off. At times the dash lights would come on, and nothing would happen. At other times it would apply the brakes when no lights were lit up on the dash at all. Sometimes you could be driving along at 50 mph and it would suddenly apply just the right front brake, all by itself, with no lights on the dash, and no warning. You couldn't keep it in the same lane on the highway when that happened, it was very dangerous. You can disable the system when it is messed up that bad by unplugging any of the ABS electrical connections (the ones on the rear wheels are the easiest to reach), but it puts it in limp home mode and the Jeep feels like it only has 50 HP. Careful with the fragile clips.

After fighting with mine I broke down and took it to our local Jeep dealership, that has excellent mechanics. They found that Dynatrac had not tightened the internal parts in the front hubs beyond finger tight. The axle nuts had come loose, the hubs were able to move, and the tone ring was hitting the ABS wheel sensor. They also found that the axle intaller I had used had fastened the ABS sensors with zip ties (yes, zip ties). And I had broke the clip on the rear ABS sensor when I disconnected it. So they fixed Dynatrac's screw up, and tightened the hubs properly. They fixed the axle installers screw up by mounting the ABS sensors the correct distance from the tone ring, and bolting them in place instead of using zip ties. And they fixed my screw up by replacing the clip on the rear wheel sensor. And the Jeep drives great now.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 08-22-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Help asap, abs problem scairy to drive dont know waht to do.