Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! Am I just a tight ass?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Am I just a tight ass?

I have been looking for winch, bumper and rear bumper. I like the ACE Engineering Pro Series Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier With ​6" Li​ght P​rovis​ions
Inclu​de Pa​ir of​ LED ​Light​s. $1100 .I like the Smittybilt X20-10 Comp Gen2 Waterproof Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead - 10,000 lbs. $550.
And I like the Smittybilt Atlas XRC Front Bumper $700. $2300 ouch. I have looked at the china bumpers ( had one on my old jeep) had no problem with it. I had a recon winch used it about 5 times never had a problem. I picked out China products that I like from Truck and Winch for a total of $1300. granted I am comparing apples and oranges. I like the rear bumper that has the tire carrier that attaches to the tailgate. Any one have anything bad to say about the type of tire carrier that attaches to the tail gate?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have never rand a tire carrier that attaches to the gate but I have seen people run them. You run the risk of catching the ground and seriously ****ing your gate. If you dont do any hard trails id say its fine but if you like ride the hard stuff I would highly recommend you stay away from one.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The linked tailgate kind of carriers simply use a small turnbuckle attachment from the swing arm to a mount on the tailgate. I don't see how a hard hit on your bumper is going to "seriously mess up" the tailgate. Worst case scenario I foresee is a small dent which is unlikely & those links provide a little slop in them, so it'd have to be a really hard hit to move it enough to cause damage.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
The linked tailgate kind of carriers simply use a small turnbuckle attachment from the swing arm to a mount on the tailgate. I don't see how a hard hit on your bumper is going to "seriously mess up" the tailgate. Worst case scenario I foresee is a small dent which is unlikely & those links provide a little slop in them, so it'd have to be a really hard hit to move it enough to cause damage.
Im talking about the tire hitting the ground. I dont see the bumper hitting causing any problems
Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My turnbuckle has a lot of play in it. The center at each bolt has a rotating ball. I wouldn't think that that would cause any damage. The seat for the carrier maybe if it pushes the tramp stamp in. But I don't slide down rocks on my rear bumper and tire so won't happen to me. I like the convenience of only having to open the tailgate and not the tailgate and carrier.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14Sport
My turnbuckle has a lot of play in it. The center at each bolt has a rotating ball. I wouldn't think that that would cause any damage. The seat for the carrier maybe if it pushes the tramp stamp in. But I don't slide down rocks on my rear bumper and tire so won't happen to me. I like the convenience of only having to open the tailgate and not the tailgate and carrier.

" I like the convenience of only having to open the tailgate and not the tailgate and carrier"
That's my thinking.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

I have no experience with any of those products, but I do have experience with, both, China and American made offroad products. You always get what you pay for. Sometimes those prices seem too good to pass up, but you could spend a little more, buy one, and be done.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you are not a tight ass. Maybe you can do 1 thing at a time. We all don't have a bunch of cash laying around.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the money. Maybe that's why I still have my bonus. I am a tight ass.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Get the bumper with the linkage to the gate you won't be sorry. I have it separately and its a major pain to get in out every time that I find my self pulling my rear seats forward so I don't have to open up the swing arm and then the tail gate. I am going to replace mine when I can.

Quick Reply: HELP! Am I just a tight ass?