Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Alignment Problems

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Alignment Problems

Last May I had a 3" BDS Lift installed at a very reputable place and the alignment was perfect! Around the time I hit a pothole about 3 mo. ago, I noticed my JK pulling to the left and I have to hold the wheel about 15-25° to the right to correct it. Had both original installer and another shop look at it. Both said numbers were within normal range, alignment was okay, and nothing appeared broken. Orig installer said that pulling jks are not uncommon after a lift but it bothers me that it was pin straight before. Also said not to mess around with them too much (whatever that means???). Second shop suggested an adjustable trackbar and possibly upgraded control arms to correct it (after replacing stock pins for $125 w/ no improvement. Just wanted to get some feedback before spending any more money and get an idea of what I really may need. Thanks all!

3"BDS Lift
35x18x12.50 Nitto Trail Graps on XD Monsters
OR-Fab Front/Rear Bumpers
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you should definitely have a front adjustable trackbar. The LCA's are really up to you. They allow you to really dial in your caster angle but you could run without them. They won't have anything to do with your pulling. Is your steering wheel straight? You might have also knock a wheel out of balance.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LCA's set to proper caster will be night and day difference.

You can also re-adjust the steering wheel back to center by loosening the sleeve on the drag link and rotating.

Not familiar with the BDS lift, so I do not know what it came with for install.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you could adjust your drag link a bit and get the wheel straight.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
Well you should definitely have a front adjustable trackbar. The LCA's are really up to you. They allow you to really dial in your caster angle but you could run without them. They won't have anything to do with your pulling. Is your steering wheel straight? You might have also knock a wheel out of balance.
It's off. If I hold it straight I'm three lanes over within 100-150 yards. If I let go of the wheel it pulls itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Did either shop actually give you a printout of the numbers? If not, it wouldn't hurt to run by and get an alignment check. (not a full alignment, just a free/cheap check so you can give us the numbers).

Just checked BDS's website. I'll assume you have the $750 3" lift and not the expensive one? If so, it comes with cam bolts. Crawl underneath and verify that they are both set to roughly the same spec. The installer may have even painted a line over them so you can easily see if one has slipped. (this is the bolt where the front lower control arm connects to the axle. You will see a normal bolt, with a big washer that is offset to the side instead of being centered like a normal washer. )

Found a pic from a BDS writeup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CasterAdjusted.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	445181

And a DIY alignment writeup, which will show you how to center the steering wheel and check the toe.
Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Hey thanks for finding that info. Neither gave a printout but both independently said everything was within normal specs. The guy at the 2nd shop I went to said the bolts were stock and gave me upgraded ones. Those were the "pins" I was referring to before. Sorry.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skoolu
Last May I had a 3" BDS Lift installed at a very reputable place and the alignment was perfect! Around the time I hit a pothole about 3 mo. ago, I noticed my JK pulling to the left and I have to hold the wheel about 15-25° to the right to correct it. Had both original installer and another shop look at it. Both said numbers were within normal range, alignment was okay, and nothing appeared broken. Orig installer said that pulling jks are not uncommon after a lift but it bothers me that it was pin straight before. Also said not to mess around with them too much (whatever that means???). Second shop suggested an adjustable trackbar and possibly upgraded control arms to correct it (after replacing stock pins for $125 w/ no improvement. Just wanted to get some feedback before spending any more money and get an idea of what I really may need. Thanks all!

3"BDS Lift
35x18x12.50 Nitto Trail Graps on XD Monsters
OR-Fab Front/Rear Bumpers
Out of curiosity do you have an aftermaket steering stabilizer on the jeep? And if you do what kind is it?

RK
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the BDS 3" coil/shock lift with no problems. I agree with nthinuf if those cam bolts were "banged" loose or moved when you hit the pothole that may give you the "pull". From my understanding the camber is pretty much set and not so easy to change and a toe problem unless way out will just wear tires. The only other thing I can think of is bad or broken ball joints.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension

Out of curiosity do you have an aftermaket steering stabilizer on the jeep? And if you do what kind is it?

RK
Stock still I believe.

Quick Reply: Help! Alignment Problems