Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!!! AEV 3.5" SC concern....

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! AEV 3.5" SC concern....

So, I had my new AEV lift installed 2 weeks ago and while I love it, something about the steering stabelizer just didn't look right to me....and after doing my research and looking at other pictures on the AEV site, I think there is something wrong.

It started off with me noticing (or thinking) my tie rod is getting bent up a little right in the middle where the tie rod and steering stabelizer mount meets, see below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Rig2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	269685Click image for larger version

Name:	My Rig.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	269686

Now, after looking at the AEV site and what the picture shows in the instructions for the steering dampener and bracket, it seems like the person who intalled it DID IT FRIGGIN WRONG!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Stabelizer.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	269688

The bracket in the middle of the tie rod should be flipped to the TOP and the stabelizer should be reversed (the actual thicker tube should be attached in the middle of the tie rod, not the other way around). You can also see how much of an angle the stablizer is currently sitting as supposed to the way it SHOULD look, more parallel to the tie rod.

I know you can't really tell in the pictures, but like I said....it seems to be bending my tie rod upwards towards my bumper. I'm quite pissed if you ask me. That's a quick fix (or atleast I hope), but who the hell does that?! I mean, it clearly shows it in the instructions....

Is this something that can screw up my front end if it's not flipped and correctly immediately?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would fix it ASAP.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

It was definitely installed wrong though, right? I'm not losing my mind am I?

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 01-25-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
A couple wrenches and 15 mins will fix that. Do it immediately.

Also, if something as simple as that is messed up, everything else should be double checked, retorqued, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright, cool....thanks. I've done work on my jeep before, just not the tie-rod, but I figured it couldn't be that hard. Yea, I plan on checking everything else. Just wish it was a little warmer out here in jersey at night bc that's the only time I can take a look underneath or I have to wait for the weekend. There is a local 4x4 shop where the guy there actually has a JK with lots of work done to it, so I will be showing him and see what he thinks as well.

DAMN OFF-ROAD SHOP! I pay money to get it intalled and this is the shit I gotta find out myself....so pissed
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

That sucks. Fix it ASAP because it won't take but 15 minutes. More and more it's true; if you want something done right, do it yourself.

This is a nice reminder as to why I endure the PITA's and do it all myself.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
That sucks. Fix it ASAP because it won't take but 15 minutes. More and more it's true; if you want something done right, do it yourself.

This is a nice reminder as to why I endure the PITA's and do it all myself.
will do. Yea, I would have done it myself, I'm fairly handy & knowledgeable but this was a full kit with a ton of parts and stuff and I knew it would take a very long time to do it, especially without a hydraulic lift to make it easy to get under. Plus, its cold as hell out here in jersey and I wouldnt be able to do it in my garage because....well, because its just packed to the brim. Oh yea, and I'm a new father now! I have a 3 month old, so lots of my time is devoted to her
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed this same lift last weekend. It's definitely done wrong. I would fix that immediately and check everything else over.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez I would re-check over the whole lift, especially if they fudged up putting the SS on
Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie

Hey guys, just got in from work...gonna tackle the SS...quick question. Is it easier to work on it with the jeep jacked up or should I just leave it and slide under?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jason0341
Geez I would re-check over the whole lift, especially if they fudged up putting the SS on
I plan on it. I just got my Evo C2's via the big brown truck today, so they will be going on soon and the place I'm getting them welded, the guy has his own JK with the works, and so does his buddy...they work on a lot of JK's.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! AEV 3.5" SC concern....