Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help adding reverse light

Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for the "TIPM" feedback folks - if you used BIGNICK's idea but inserted a relay triggered by the stock wiring (instead of using the actual stock wiring to power the lights) would that avoid the feedback risk?

I suppose the wiring would look like:
Wire #1 - Battery -> Switch -> Rigids
Wire #2 - Stock Reverse light -> Relay (trigger prong)
Battery -> Relay (power in / power out prongs) -> Rigids

It seems that there should be no feedback here b/c the stock wire is only used to trip a relay and not to actually power the light, so when the switch turns the light on, nothing can go back down the stock light. And if you had the switch on and then put it in reverse, you'd simply have two wires coming from the battery connecting the Rigid (which I assume is OK)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM
JK Junkie

I went my own route and I'll provide diagrams. If you're going to take the shortcut and potentially backfeed the TIPM then certainly go with the diode- it's very cheap insurance in case something were to happen.

My solution was a relay behind the taillight with switched power going to it. Standard operation of the relay (NC) will illuminate the aux reverse lights based off of the signal from the stock reverse lights. [Note that this method will only work if you're using low amp draw LED lights since the stock circuitry is powering your stock lights as well as the aux lights] The switched power coming back from my dash switch turns only the aux reverse lights on by polarizing the circuit and switching the contacts to send power down the alternate path to illuminate the aux light. Note that I do not have a diode in place since my aux lights do not control the stock lights.

Some diagrams of how to wire them in for your consideration...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by High altitude
I just picked up a dually diffused light that i want to install as an additional reverse light. I want to wire it to go on whenever reverse is engaged, but also wanted to possibly put a switch in that could turn it on whenever i want. Im not too good with electrical, so anybody have any tips or a good method to go about doing this??
Hello

Here is the link from when I did mine

URL:Attempt at step by step of a Rigid Dually D2 tied to the reverse circuit w/BDF mount

Matthew

Quick Reply: help adding reverse light