Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help...added Spidertrax Spacers and my Jeep "Floats"

Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...added Spidertrax Spacers and my Jeep "Floats"

I finalloy broke down and added 1.5 inch Spidertrax spacers on xmas eve. I couldnt handle the lack of steering that the steering stop washers created after the 285/70/17 tires.

I installed per the instructions, and drive for a couple days around town with no noticeable difference except having a turning radius back. Then yesterday i took it out on the interstate and its a little more to control then it used to be. i thought I would get used to that as its a slightly different geometry. BUT, the Jeep seems super top heavy now, and the slightest turn of the wheel gives you the feeling that the body is rolling ALOT! I hd four people in the Jeep, but driving it again with just me it still happens. It feels like I suddenly have really sloppy suspension that gives too much.

I installed per instructions, and took it all apart and checked torque today with no issues found.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I added mine to my jk when it was stock, it made it way more stable. Dunno whats goin on with yours.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you remove the thin metal pieces that were at the bottom or each lug?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Ya you gotta pull the little jagged chincy washers off... There from the assembly line and don't do anything
Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Also my turn radius sucks to.. But the jeep feels more stable.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by melliscj
did you remove the thin metal pieces that were at the bottom or each lug?
No, it didnt reference them in the instructions and they were there under the wheels all the time. Can that really make a difference?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indyjeep
No, it didnt reference them in the instructions and they were there under the wheels all the time. Can that really make a difference?
Yea, remove those asap. They are only there to hold the rotor on during assembly and meant only for the factory wheels. Grab some needle nose and rip em off.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indyjeep
Oh yeah!........get them the hell off of there. Your problem is that your spacers are not tight against the hub. The factory wheels have space on the backside of the rim that allow for those washers. When you bolt on spacers, they are designed to mount against a flat surface (the hub). As long as those washers are on there, you don't have a flat surface.

Get them off ASAP.......as in, don't drive your Jeep until you get them off. Once you get them off, make sure you inspect the lugs for damage to the threads before reinstalling your spacers.

Quick Reply: Help...added Spidertrax Spacers and my Jeep "Floats"