Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! with 37" tire balancing.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! with 37" tire balancing.

Hey guys,

I just picked up a set of 37" MTRs and I'm having a ridiculous time getting them balanced. Ive tried over 20 plus shops within 200 miles of where I live and nobody will attempt to balance or even mount them. Does anybody have any experience with equal,dynabeads, or airsoft pellets? I'm getting pretty desperate, and its killing me with them just sitting in the garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... where do you live? When I worked in trailer (big rig) parts I sold balancing rings, but I never used them.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

I live in central Alabama of all places. Its just ridiculous, that they won't even try.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atsownz
I live in central Alabama of all places. Its just ridiculous, that they won't even try.
I read a while ago about balancing machines and Hunter appears to make the "road force balancing" machine. Hit this page on their site with your zip and start there,

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Try finding a place that does semi-truck tires, something else to keep in mind is that it can be extremely hard to perfectly balance a 37+ tire.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Do you have a Discount tire nearby. They've mounted and balance big rubber for me. Agree on the Hunter Road Force machine. It's a good way to go.

I have not heard of MTR's being difficult to balance. Talk to the manager and tell him you realize it's a pain in the ass for them, agree to pay a reasonable price (as they are not selling you tires) and ask when they are slow so you can bring them in then and not interfer with things that make them money. Be persistent.Failing that buy a set of tire irons from Extreme Outback and mount them yourself. You may luck out on the balancing.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default mounting

You don't mention what size rim your mounting these tires on, is the width compatable with the tire ? Shops are all about liability these days and don't want the responsibility of mounting questionable tire/rim/ vehicle combos, but if they're compatable a truck stop should be able to do this for you, if you have an issue with balancing using traditional weights the options that you mentioned are all viable and work well.

Last edited by ricrac12525; 08-30-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah they Are compatible there going on some 17x9's. Ans all the shops listed on the hunter gp7000 website, are the ones that i have called and they ALL said they can't do it. Even after I told them there machine is capable of doing it.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ???

Originally Posted by atsownz
Yeah they Are compatible there going on some 17x9's. Ans all the shops listed on the hunter gp7000 website, are the ones that i have called and they ALL said they can't do it. Even after I told them there machine is capable of doing it.
This sure seems strange, have any of these shops given you any particular reason they won't mount and balance your tires?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

They all say/argue with me that their machine is not capable, and that it is to large of a tire and would never balance anyways.

Quick Reply: Help! with 37" tire balancing.