Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

My front driveshaft spins when im in 2 wheel drive... it not suppose to unless 4 wheel drive is engaged... correct? What could cause this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nah, your ok. Its spins but isnt engaged at the Tcase...thats the complaint about the drive line drag all the time and switch to front hub diconnects.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

The JK doesn't use hubs on the front axle so your axle shafts are alway connected to the wheels thus turning your ring gear that turns your pinion that turns the front drive shaft. So what you are seeing is normal. Aftermarket does have an outer hub/spindle setup that uses manual hubs that disconnects the wheel from the axle shaft. The only thing that really bugs me with the axle setup from factory is the parasitic drag (decreases fuel economy) and constant wear of turning parts that don't need to be used when not in 4wd.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GrassSeed JK
The JK doesn't use hubs on the front axle so your axle shafts are alway connected to the wheels thus turning your ring gear that turns your pinion that turns the front drive shaft. So what you are seeing is normal. Aftermarket does have an outer hub/spindle setup that uses manual hubs that disconnects the wheel from the axle shaft. The only thing that really bugs me with the axle setup from factory is the parasitic drag (decreases fuel economy) and constant wear of turning parts that don't need to be used when not in 4wd.
Expected MPG savings are 1/2MPG with disconnects.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Reply

Ok... thanks. Ive got a horrrible clanking noise on the transfercase end of the front driveshaft... where the double cardin joint is ( i have J.E. Reel 1350's). The joint is very loose... any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah if it is still under warrenty send it back. Sounds like you have a bad u-joint.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I just sent the rear one back two weeks ago.

Originally Posted by goose244
Yeah if it is still under warrenty send it back. Sounds like you have a bad u-joint.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stumpman79
Ok... thanks. Ive got a horrrible clanking noise on the transfercase end of the front driveshaft... where the double cardin joint is ( i have J.E. Reel 1350's). The joint is very loose... any suggestions?
Is the output of the transfer case loose, or is it the double cardan joint?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its the double cardan joint... it feels like there is too much play in it. The drive shaft is securely bolted to the transfercase.

Originally Posted by Renegade
Is the output of the transfer case loose, or is it the double cardan joint?

Quick Reply: Help!