Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some help ASAP!

I pulled out a f250 tonight and was in 4L and due to the situation and placement I was in I think I stressed something. When I drive in 2wd no problems but if I drive in 4H and try to turn in either direction I hear what sounds like rocks grinding. What is this?

Oh and I can drive 30mph and slap it in 4H no issues at that speed just when turning at low speeds.

I have 2011 non Rubi with 5.13 on 35's
Old 10-27-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

yea that would be pretty normal if you are on dry surfaces.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you aren't supposed to drive in 4h on normal dry roads. It's meant for snowy, ice, muddy, and loose terrain. It is normal to hear those sounds on dry pavement. You might even feel like it's jerking a bit. I hope you are just being overly paranoid about any damage.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol that's not normal. Have you ever broke a rear axle shaft and drove around on the street in 4h for 3 weeks waiting on a new drive shaft? I have, more than once. And never heard no damn "rocks" while driving.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same issue, came without an identifiable incident. My mechanic told me my U joints needed replacement but that in the meantime it was not dangerous.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
Yeah, you aren't supposed to drive in 4h on normal dry roads. It's meant for snowy, ice, muddy, and loose terrain. It is normal to hear those sounds on dry pavement. You might even feel like it's jerking a bit. I hope you are just being overly paranoid about any damage.
Yes understood and i typically don't do this just wanted to make sure of what I was hearing. I hope i am not over thinking this. To me I have been in multiple situation before and never had this issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangler22
Yes understood and i typically don't do this just wanted to make sure of what I was hearing. I hope i am not over thinking this. To me I have been in multiple situation before and never had this issue.
Have you taken a look at your U-joints?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrangler22
I have turned in 4wd on pavement without hearing a bunch of noise, only feel the drive train bind. You may have damaged the u-joints, hopefully not axle shaft/splines or gears. Start with inspecting the u-joints and that area. If you need to, get with a mechanic.

You have 5:13 and a D30. You were not in 4wd pulling an F250 from the front of your Jeep in reverse I hope?

Last edited by Yankee; 10-28-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeachJK
Have you taken a look at your U-joints?
I have looked at them but they seem ok.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yankee
I have turned in 4wd on pavement without hearing a bunch of noise, only feel the drive train bind. You may have damaged the u-joints, hopefully not axle shaft/splines or gears. Start with inspecting the u-joints and that area. If you need to, get with a mechanic. You have 5:13 and a D30. You were not in 4wd pulling an F250 from the front of your Jeep in reverse I hope?
NO!!! Definitely not pulling in reverse! I will bring it into mechanic shop either today or tomorrow. I had someone just listen to it while in 2wd and they said you can hear it but definitely not load like when in 4wd.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!!!!!!!!