Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

I have a 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited I just recently added new front and rear bumpers and a roof rack with the weight of all of this and the family it seems a bit soft in the back would changing out the shocks fix this and if so what shocks?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

I had a 2011 2 door with PSC bumpers, 35's and Gobi roof rack. I had Fox 2.0 shocks on mine. Only thing I lost with all those mods was power. Shocks did great.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

I used a Superchip it helped a lot but will have to give that a try thank you.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help

Sounds like you want some better springs, not shocks.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the tag on your rear springs if they end in 58-60 last 2 numbers then your going to have to go to aftermarket springs. If not cheap upgrade and should return ride night. New shocks are nice but what is happening is because of the added weight the shocks you have now are compressed more then before making a flightier feeling. I just went through this upgraded stock springs for heavier stock springs and the jeep runs like stock and added a little height with heavy bumpers
Old 07-20-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rubicon shocks are actually pretty good and you won't gain much adding new shocks. It definitely sounds like you have a lot more weight than the coils were made for. You've also probably lost most of the up-travel on the Jeep, which means you are almost riding on the bump stops.

As noted above, you can look at the numbers on the coils and see if yours can be swapped with stiffer OEM coils. If not, you will want to pick up some HD coils from someone like OME. If you don't mind a little lift, the AEV 2.5 kit was designed for a heavy Jeep that is loaded with gear and people.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Sounds like you want some better springs, not shocks.
This. Or at least some spacers to offset the height lost from the weight of the bumpers.

Quick Reply: Help