Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help

Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What tires are you running? They can make your ride stiff too. What PSI? You might loose some air out to 30-33 for a better ride. I find most people do that with larger tires, especially load E ones.

If you want to spend more money on it, get some fox adjustable resivoir shocks. With those you can adjust your ride from cushy to stiff. But jeeps in generally are a rougher ride.

Last edited by horrocks007; 02-05-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking he is asking about TF to replace his original lift. I had to delete my last post cause I thought he had issues with the TF but I understand his lift is not TF but some other. And the other lift looks much taller than 2.5" in pictures based on the control arm angle, so maybe drivetrain vibrations come into play.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Fusco10. Did you replace the springs so you have Teraflex's 2.5" coil lift ? or did you add plastic pucks and therefore have their Budget Boost ?

Either one, I'd have your lift checked by a garage, as both are popular and rarely get complaints.

Assuming the suspension lift is correctly installed and tight, what psi are you running on the tires ? This is my guess as to your concern. I run 27psi on my 35s with TF 2.5" coil lift and it rides and handles great.
30 in my tires and that's nitrogen. And the lift is sky jacker. Been reading alot about it. I'm going to try good shocks first before I replace anything. And the ride it beyond stiff. It's drive like a brick. I drove in lifted ones that don't drive like mine.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
I'm thinking he is asking about TF to replace his original lift. I had to delete my last post cause I thought he had issues with the TF but I understand his lift is not TF but some other. And the other lift looks much taller than 2.5" in pictures based on the control arm angle, so maybe drivetrain vibrations come into play.
U are correct. My 2.5 sky jacker sucks. But maybe it's my shocks. I'm not sure. I'm having 4wd look into this Saturday to help me out. To see if shocks will help. If not then replacing everything.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusco10

Just the front???
I know the front driveshaft is of main concern I believe for 3"+ buy maybe someone else can chime in
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Fusco10;3414034]Ok need advice on 2012 2 door wrangler sport with a 2.5 lift from terra flex and with 33s. How's ur ride quality. My current lift rides like shit. I need to upgrade. Also do u suggest a different lift?? Thanks[/QUOTE

Your 2DR Sport is about the lightest Wrangler made. Jeep uses many different combinations of coil spring rates depending on the weight of the vehicle so that each Jeep will ride relatively well. The problem is the aftermarket springs you have are not so well tuned for your JK and are likely optimized for a much heavier Wrangler. The aftermarket manufacturers have a hard time making a spring that gives a loaded down 4DR enough lift to meet the advertised height and also rides well on a light 2DR sport. The result is a stiff bouncy ride on the 2DR, and a lift that likely sits an inch higher than advertised.

You need a lift with progressive rate coil springs and relatively soft shocks like OME. Make sure your tires are running as little air as possible probably in the 26 PSI range.

The rear driveshaft is more of an issue on the 2DR's because of the short wheelbase causing the rear driveline angle to be very steep, but the steeper angle of the front on the 2012+ means it could go first. I'd lift it and then check the angles to see if the pinion seal boots looks like they are getting pinched.

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 02-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

[QUOTE=JohnnyQuik;3414337]
Ok need advice on 2012 2 door wrangler sport with a 2.5 lift from terra flex and with 33s. How's ur ride quality. My current lift rides like shit. I need to upgrade. Also do u suggest a different lift?? Thanks[/QUOTE

Your 2DR Sport is about the lightest Wrangler made. Jeep uses many different combinations of coil spring rates depending on the weight of the vehicle so that each Jeep will ride relatively well. The problem is the aftermarket springs you have are not so well tuned for your JK and are likely optimized for a much heavier Wrangler. The aftermarket manufacturers have a hard time making a spring that gives a loaded down 4DR enough lift to meet the advertised height and also rides well on a light 2DR sport. The result is a stiff bouncy ride on the 2DR, and a lift that likely sits an inch higher than advertised.

You need a lift with progressive rate coil springs and relatively soft shocks like OME. Make sure your tires are running as little air as possible probably in the 26 PSI range.
This guy hit it right on the money! If your ride is that stiff, I am almost positive its your Coils. bad shocks will make a ride stiff, but not as stiff as your describing.

Like he said above, you probably either have coils rated for a 4 door, or if skyjacker made this lift universal and offers the same rate coils for both 2 doors and 4 doors, then its probably stiff because the coils are also made to give a 4door 2.5" of lift. meaning you probably gained around 3" or more, light 2 door = Stiff ride.

I am running a Rough Country 2.5" lift for my 4 door. Even though its on the cheaper side, these progression rate springs are just as smooth as stock and I have not one complain about this lift. Been running it and wheeling it for almost a year now!

RK, Tereflex, AEV, Old man emu, are also good lifts that I hear good things about. But I hear out of all them, RK gets the best flex

Just make sure when you get a lift, it is made for a 2 door!!!

Good luck
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

30 in my tires and that's nitrogen. And the lift is sky jacker. Been reading alot about it. I'm going to try good shocks first before I replace anything. And the ride it beyond stiff. It's drive like a brick. I drove in lifted ones that don't drive like mine.
Get rid of the sky crapper and get a better lift and shocks. Also try going a little lower on the air pressure in the tires
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Prgressive rate coils. ???? I mean can new shocks make it a softer ride. I hate to buy new I just bought this lift. ??
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is their a way to check my shocks to see if they are bad.

Quick Reply: Help