Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help - 2012 rubicon unlimited build

Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - 2012 rubicon unlimited build

I'm finally ready to start doing my mods. I have $9k cash and I'm looking to run 37s. If you have $9k cash what would be your first set of upgrades and where would you get them? ALL $9k is for Jeep parts. I will do all the work myself.

I currently have a front bumper, sounds system, cb, ham and winch installed.

Thanks,

James G
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to tell us more about what you plan to use the Jeep for? Mall crawling or rock crawling, etc? Read Dirtman's sticky on lifts before asking for any input on that topic (you'll get 1001 opinions and your head will spin).

With 37s, the obvious is gussets and sleeve/truss the front axle. Even if just mall crawling, it is a good idea and cheap insurance.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

More information is definitely needed. Do you plan on pushing this rig pretty hard?

Personally I think a 3.5" lift is the perfect height for a JKU sitting on 37's. I would also highly recommend at least axle "C" gussets. If you plan on wheeling it then I would consider a full truss kit.

Depending on your area and usage you will likely want to re-gear but this does have variables.

Let us know more details and we will be glad to walk you through your build process.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
You will need to tell us more about what you plan to use the Jeep for? Mall crawling or rock crawling, etc? Read Dirtman's sticky on lifts before asking for any input on that topic (you'll get 1001 opinions and your head will spin).

With 37s, the obvious is gussets and sleeve/truss the front axle. Even if just mall crawling, it is a good idea and cheap insurance.

This is for rock crawling in So-cal. Big bear, Ocotillo Wells and new trails. I want to build something solid that has strong parts. I was thinking of going with a 4" kit. I have at least $6k for parts excluding tires and wheels.

Thanks,

James G.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. I'll stay away from the topic of suspension. Protecting your investment is a good place to focus.

-Good skids are a must.
-Frame mounted rock sliders
-Diff covers
-Gusset and sleeve/truss the front axle for sure and maybe truss the rear if you plan to wheel it a lot.
-Plan to upgrade axle shafts (before they break, or when they break). Chromo rear, and I like the RCVs in the front.
-Definitely a winch
-Tire carrier upgrade to hold the 37

Might consider body armor as well. Gearing is up to you, but with what you are doing, you will want to regear (4.88 works well with 37s on the 3.6L motor).
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A pair of ProRocks and a BB with whatever is left over.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Gotcha. I'll stay away from the topic of suspension. Protecting your investment is a good place to focus.

-Good skids are a must.
-Frame mounted rock sliders
-Diff covers
-Gusset and sleeve/truss the front axle for sure and maybe truss the rear if you plan to wheel it a lot.
-Plan to upgrade axle shafts (before they break, or when they break). Chromo rear, and I like the RCVs in the front.
-Definitely a winch
-Tire carrier upgrade to hold the 37

Might consider body armor as well. Gearing is up to you, but with what you are doing, you will want to regear (4.88 works well with 37s on the 3.6L motor).
Good list. The gearing could be something that you think about after the majority of the build and you have a chance to whee it, although the advantage of gearing is huge and largely underestimated. If you are doing the labor for all of the above you should still have some left over for the lift, this depends on what products you go with.

Quick Reply: Help - 2012 rubicon unlimited build