Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!}}}===>Death Wobble in my brand new JK

Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!}}}===>Death Wobble in my brand new JK

So I have a brand new 2011 Sahara with 1100 miles. At 700 miles I put 33x12.5x 17 on it and it was still riding perfct then today I installed a readylift leveling kit. It is a coil spacer kit, 3" front and 2" rear and now when I hit bumps I get a wobble in my steering wheel in kind of a ripple effect...assuming this is " death wobble"...so since I know every thing is new and not worn, where should I start? No other mods what so ever. Just spacers and shock extensions...seems to drive straight with no pulling. Please help
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

What is tire coupling never herd of it. perhaps cupping.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thought i was learning something new thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have an aligment done ?

Common causes:

Front track bar is loose. Make sure its torqued to 125 ft lbs.

Check all front end bolts to make sure nothing loostened up after the install.

Loosten everything up with tires on the ground. Jump up and down on jeep. Tighten everything back up again. Sometimes things shift funny before the jeep has weight on it.

Check lug nuts.

Are tires balanced properly?

Do a search for Death Wobble. You will find 1000s of posts, literally.

Last edited by jeepmedic; 03-05-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Hey like i said i thought maybe you had something i havent heard of ,sorry if i afended you just trying yo learn .
Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mldsrt4
So I have a brand new 2011 Sahara with 1100 miles. At 700 miles I put 33x12.5x 17 on it and it was still riding perfct then today I installed a readylift leveling kit. It is a coil spacer kit, 3" front and 2" rear and now when I hit bumps I get a wobble in my steering wheel in kind of a ripple effect...assuming this is " death wobble"...so since I know every thing is new and not worn, where should I start? No other mods what so ever. Just spacers and shock extensions...seems to drive straight with no pulling. Please help
Does your kit not include longer sway bar links? For a 3 inch lift in the front they might be a necessary addition.

I bought the Terraflex Leveling kit that only lifts the front 2 inches and it came with those.

Just a guess....
Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

By your description, it doesn't sound like DW. Sounds more like bump steer. What's your PSI? Toe-in and other alignment specs? You will know DW if you ever experience it. Once it kicks in, you have to come to a complete stop before it stops shaking. You'll also crap your pants if you are going fast.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check your toe in-Found my 2011 actually had 1/2 toe out instead of 1/8 toe in.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

Tires are balanced fine, and all front end parts are new I'm going to do alignment, and loosen and retourqe everything. The feeling I get is close to my tj with a blown steering stabilize..except I get the ripple affect not just one jerk of the wheel...
When installing the kit it looks like I need break line extensions. Also front links seen too short, in the air the almost lay flat, but once its on the ground the are straight up and down....also on the lift after install everything seems to be shifted towards the driver side a tiny bit
Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mldsrt4
also on the lift after install everything seems to be shifted towards the driver side a tiny bit
Time for a new trackbar, or a relocate bracket. Most would suggest an adjustable bar and not a bracket. I'm suprised that your kit didn't address the trackbar if it's 3", not good.

Quick Reply: HELP!}}}===>Death Wobble in my brand new JK