Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!}}}===>Death Wobble in my brand new JK

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Time for a new trackbar, or a relocate bracket. Most would suggest an adjustable bar and not a bracket. I'm suprised that your kit didn't address the trackbar if it's 3", not good.
which one should i get?....what about steeering stabilizers? do i need one of those? how bout the rear trackbar?....i do have a thumping now in the back now going over bumps..

Last edited by mldsrt4; 03-06-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
By your description, it doesn't sound like DW. Sounds more like bump steer. What's your PSI? Toe-in and other alignment specs? You will know DW if you ever experience it. Once it kicks in, you have to come to a complete stop before it stops shaking. You'll also crap your pants if you are going fast.
I agree. Bump steer. You hit a bump. It wobbles a little then steadys out.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Start with replacing the stock steering stabilizer with a good heavy duty one and your problem should disappear. It worked for me. I'm sure alot of users will disagree but like I said...........It worked for me and was an easy fix.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 3" in front u definitely need new longer sway bar links, and prob adjustable track bars like jks.
Your sway bar should sit level or slightly up.I bet yours isn't even close.
Don't flex it right now because it will cause your sway bar links to flip..
Your axles are prob 1/2" or more offcenter. Check with a tape measure from frame to point on lug on tire.
And like was said make sure your toe is slightly In, not out, and the track bars are torqued right.
Also did u loosen all the control arms with the Jeep on the ground under Its own weight??
U could have bushings that are bound at stock height..

Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

An aftermarket stabilizer will help, but will only mask the larger problem of what is really causing the DW.

Track bars...any of the adjustables are good. I have F and R JKS ones, the teraflex is nice, it really comes down to how much $$ you want to spend. The aftermarket track bars are way beefier than stock. Sounds like you need a front track bar more than anything....

Back seat thumping....is your rear sway bar parallel with the ground, or is it near vertical due to too short of disconnects ? Also check the rear shocks and rear trac bar bolts for tightness. If you had to remove your brake calipers for lift install, check those bolts as well.

Originally Posted by mldsrt4
which one should i get?....what about steeering stabilizers? do i need one of those? how bout the rear trackbar?....i do have a thumping now in the back now going over bumps..
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

again, I think you have bump steer and not DW. dual stabilizers could fix the bump steer. front lower arms could too. too much air in your tires can cause it. what PSI are you running?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

ok heres what im going to do:
new adjustable trackbar front and rear
dual steering stabilizer
extended brake lines front and rear (where can i get these?)
longer sway bar links maybe disconnects (what set should i go with? and front and rear recommended?)
check tire pressure
loosen and retourque all components
alignment

by what everyone has said, i probally do not have death wobble just bump steer and with all of these components i should be able to drive and flex with no issues.
Anything else you think i might need let me know (brands and sizes help me alot)
thanks for all the help
Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Don't know if your kit included bump stops....but if it did the rear track bar bolt on the passenger side could be hitting your bump stop while going over bumps. If so remove the bolt and re-insert it with the nut side toward the back of the Jeep. This will give you more clearance.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

ok heres what im going to do:
new adjustable trackbar front and rear
dual steering stabilizer
extended brake lines front and rear (where can i get these?)
longer sway bar links maybe disconnects (what set should i go with? and front and rear recommended?)
check tire pressure
loosen and retourque all components
alignment

by what everyone has said, i probally do not have death wobble just bump steer and with all of these components i should be able to drive and flex with no issues.
Anything else you think i might need let me know (brands and sizes help me alot)
thanks for all the help
with the amount of lift you have, you really dont need a rear track bar. if anything, look at the TeraFlex rear track bar frame side bracket. This will have nothing to do with bump steer, though.

for sway bar links, you should go with JKS quicker disconnects for the front. do not need disconnects for the rear, but you will need longer links. get some fixed lenth links for a 2-3" lift.

brake lines and everything else, call david at northridge4x4.com

sometimes, bump steer is just there and may never go away 100%.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 03-06-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

i just looked this lift up. it says it has cam bolts. did you install those? says it has a rear track bar bracket. did you install that? says it has brake line drop brackets, did you install those?

personally, i think cam bolts suck. search for the various threads about them

if you installed the supplied rear track bar bracket, disregard my lost post about ordering one from northridge.

i would forget the above items and simply order adjustable front lower control arms. if you already installed the cam bolts, take those out and weld washers to fix the control arm bracket holes and use the arms. that might fix your issues.

if you dont really need front sway bar disconnects, id get longer rear sway bar links and move the factory rears to the front.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 03-06-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!}}}===>Death Wobble in my brand new JK