Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! @#$%ing Nutserts!!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! @#$%ing Nutserts!!

So I got my Rock Skins from ORE today and spun 2 of the nutserts in the body. Now the mounting bolt is jammed in the nutsert and sticking out about 3/4"...I am at a loss for what to do...Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to ORE Monday morning to see if they can help and return a tool Mel let me borrow.(THANKS MEL!)

Thanks for any and all help guys.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nutserts should only be installed with the correct tool. You can get the tool at Harbor Freight for about $20.

I know it sucks big time when it doesn't seat all the way and just sits there and spins.

You have a bunch choices... you can tack weld the nutsert to the body or somehow access the back of the nutsert and clamp a set of vice grips on it (if possible) or you can carefully grind the head off the nutsert and bolt and then just push it through.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little adhesive to hold the nutsert or tack it
Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seal20
So I got my Rock Skins from ORE today and spun 2 of the nutserts in the body. Now the mounting bolt is jammed in the nutsert and sticking out about 3/4"...I am at a loss for what to do...Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to ORE Monday morning to see if they can help and return a tool Mel let me borrow.(THANKS MEL!)

Thanks for any and all help guys.
Hey I just did that. My solution was to cut the head off the bolt. Then came the ugly part. I drilled two holes on each side of the sert, ground the paint off with the dremel and had the neighbor weld the sert there. Then I ground as much of the weld off as I felt comfortable with. I then hit it with the hammer and punch to dent it ever so slightly. Painted it and covered it with silicone. It looks absolutely horrible. It is covered up but I still know it's under there. Thought about drilling the whole thing out, but that would have left a big hole there that would have needed to be fixed.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

MAN!! This totally sucks...it looks like there's not gonna be an easy fix for this.

Anymore ideas?

THanks for the replies!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

MAN!! This totally sucks...it looks like there's not gonna be an easy fix for this.

Anymore ideas?

THanks for the replies!
First, forget about the piece of shit they send you to insall the nutserts. Get the tool that someone mentioned at harbor freight. Its looks like a rivet gun, actually it is a revet gun and nutsert setter. Once you get the tool, set the nutserts all the way. The first squeeze on the setter is very hard, but once the crimp is started its not as hard. Squeeze it down all the way until it will not go any more. Trust me on that, they are not set good enough until they are set all the way. I had to go back and reset a few that i didnt set all the way.

There are a couple of spots that you have to drill through more than one layer of metal. I just thought i mention that.

Another tip about the harbor frieght nutsert setter: Keep the threads oiled. Put oil or wd40 or whatever on the threads everytime you put a nutsert on it.

To get the one that is sticking out 3/4", this is what id do. Try to pull out on the bolt head and see if the unstert slides out a little, then grab it with a pair of vice grips and try to unscrew the bolt. After that, screw the harbor freight tool into the nutsert a little (not far enough to get stuck) and reset the nutsert all the way. Run a tap through the nutsert and try another bolt.

.......or something like that....

corey d
Old 07-25-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

Sounds good! The tool I am using is actually on loan from Mel himself. It's legit and worked awesome. I think the problem is trying to get 14 little 1/2" holes to line up perfectly to mount these all.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you install a nutsert the very second it starts to turn and not tighten up STOP THERE. Back the bolt out, spin a correct thread nut on the bolt and add a washer on top of it. Install the bolt back in the nutsert, run it in till the nutsert starts turning. Hold the bolthead with the proper size wrench and turn the washer and nut down against the nutsert with another wrench and it will draw up tight. Don't be surprised if the nut turns the nutsert some, work with it and it will draw up.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
when you install a nutsert the very second it starts to turn and not tighten up STOP THERE. Back the bolt out, spin a correct thread nut on the bolt and add a washer on top of it. Install the bolt back in the nutsert, run it in till the nutsert starts turning. Hold the bolthead with the proper size wrench and turn the washer and nut down against the nutsert with another wrench and it will draw up tight. Don't be surprised if the nut turns the nutsert some, work with it and it will draw up.
I can;t get the bolts out, that's the major problem. The skins are stuck on there and the nutserts just spin in the body...Ya, it's a cluster.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I can;t get the bolts out, that's the major problem. The skins are stuck on there and the nutserts just spin in the body...Ya, it's a cluster.
Sorry, I left a step out the holes are for the c-clip pliers to hold the sert when you unscrew the headless bolt.

Quick Reply: HELP! @#$%ing Nutserts!!