Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hello my first post on this forum but it's a question about modding :)

Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello my first post on this forum but it's a question about modding :)

I want to do a 2.5 inch lift and run 35 inch tires do you recommend a gearing? I drive 120 kph/75 mph regularrly so ideally I'd like the 6th gear to be running at 1.5-1.75 or 2 rpm if you know how I can achieve this I would love to know. Also I drive a two door wrangler with a 3.6 liter pentastar. Also my other question is can I fit 10.5 inch wide tires on a 9 inch wide rim? I am currently running 32 inch tires but I would like to have 35 inch tires in the near future so I would be getting them in either 11.50 or 12.50 so I would like to only have to buy a wheel set once. Also anyone have recommendations for a 2.5 inch lift kit I would like to do this completely correct so no shortcuts or budget boost should I go with the mopar set with the new driveshaft to make up for geometry changes or something else open to ideas. Thank you in advance for the advice .

Last edited by Gartix; 10-06-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: font not right color
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stuck right to the top of this modified area are two threads. FAQ's, and Thoughts On Lifts. Start with those.

In the faq's, you will find some good gearing charts to get you pointed in the right direction. They are based on 70 MPH, so do whatever conversion you need to. And use actual measured tire height, not the mfg spec.

The 9" wide rims should not be a problem, but ask your shop just to be sure. In the specs for each specific tire, you will find a notation for the recommended minimum and maximum rim width, so you could also double check that also.

For your lift question, the thoughts on lifts thread will give some insight on what the specific components do. Wouldn't be a bad idea to read through it so you can identify what is actually in the kits you are looking at.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

I mean I would really appreciate some insight about the wheel and tire width issue. I don't want to have to stretch the tire to fit but I think 1.5 inches of clearance should be okay currently I have the tires on rims that are essentially ghetto bead locks because the rim diameter is much smaller. If it helps at all the tire is a bf Goodrich all terrain ko2 (the new one) 265/7516r. I really like this specific wheel I'd really like to run it now if at all possible.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a link to a thread about gear ratios.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...imited-213377/
Old 10-06-2016, 03:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gartix
the tire is a bf Goodrich all terrain ko2 (the new one) 265/7516r.

BFG KO2
LT265/75R16 121/118S E
Rim Width Range : 7-8"

As noted, some shops may refuse to mount those tires on a 9" wide rim.

But assuming you can get them mounted, I don't think you would have any problems with it until you are ready for 35's. Just talk to your shop and get their opinion.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-06-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

My jeep is stock currently other then the tires I put on it but. For the new gear ratio I would be installing that when I get 35 inch tires installed. I currently live in Germany so I'd like a responsive enough gear ratio for the autobahn but I typically cruise around 75 mph I do occasionally go 100 though and anywhere between there which is okay with the 3.21 and the 32's but when I had the stock tires on it was a really good ratio I would like something that feels like the engine is not lugged the whole time with the 35's. and be able to keep rpm below 2500 in 6th gear when I'm going 120 kph/ 75 mph so I can be economic with fuel.

also I don't know if it makes a difference but it said recommended witdth for the 265/7516r is 8.5 does a .5 inch difference really matter? Thanks for looking that up nthinuf. But will the tire be stretched with the .5 inch difference or any ill side effects?

Last edited by Gartix; 10-06-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

On BFG's website, the rim width specs listed for the 265/75/16 are : 7" - 8". Am I looking at the right tire?

All-Terrain T/A KO2 | BFGoodrich Tires

People say that narrow rims with wide tires will cause you to run on the center of the tread, so you need to air down further to get a better contact patch. Haven't seen anyone really talking about narrow tires on wide rims, but maybe the opposite is true? The sides of the tread will get more contact and you'll want to air up more? Sorry, can't answer that. Just do a chalk test to see where you should be setting the psi and call it good.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've had multiple sets of 10.5" wide tires on 10" wide wheels- there are no special 'rules' or things to keep in mind. You do not get funny wear on the outside of the tire, it's just a very flat wear pattern all the way across the tread. You'll be told that you can't air down at all but that's simply not true, you just can't go down to 12-15psi. I ran down to 17psi without losing a bead.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:08 PM
JK Newbie

Karls10jk is that a picture of a 10.5 on a 10 inch rim? I know people run stretched tires on cars where the rim is actually wider then the tire so I guess their should be no complications but this just concerns me with the safety aspect so just don't air down to super low psi and I'll be good?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Bought the rims I'll post a picture once I get them just in case anyone has an issue like mine so they can see what a 9 inch wide rim looks like with a 10.50 inch wide tire

Quick Reply: Hello my first post on this forum but it's a question about modding :)