Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Heavy creaking in front end.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy creaking in front end.

Alright so I have had this problem for a few weeks now and I cannot get to the bottom of it. Basically I have a rather loud creaking that occurs at low speeds when turning and hitting very bumpy terrain.

My vehicle specs are:
2011 JKU w/ Rock Krawler 2.5" stock mod kit and bilstein shocks. (RK front adjustable trackbar and rough country sway bar disconnects.)

The noise is a loud metal creaking noise that sounds like it comes from the left front tire region. It literally sounds like metal bending and tearing when a building is collapsing. (ok maybe not THAT loud, but you can hear it from 30 feet away pretty clearly)

The noise is exacerbated when:
Driving at city speeds. (don't hear it on highway)
Turning either direction.
Slamming on the brakes (sometimes)
Pulling into parking spots (same as turning)

The noise occurs at speeds as low as just taking my foot off the break with the wheel turned.

So originally I presumed it to be the bushing end of the trackbar because I had an issue after installing my lift but I took it apart twice, greased the heck out of it with "red n' tacky" and no resolve. (bushing is very tight and in tact)

Next I thought ok then it may be the springs or shocks. I pushed on and jumped on the bumper enough that the entire jeep was bouncing heavily and not a single abnormal sound was heard.

My presumption is that the noise is stemming from one of the steering/wheel components but I don't know the first thing about them.

What I am still yet to check:

Retorque sway bar ends. (stock)
Remove away bar links. (doubt this is it)

So what suggestions would you guys/gals make to help me diagnose and resolve this extremely irritating problem.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

What are you torque specs? Tight is not enough on a trackbar
Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

The trackbar specs say 125lbs, so I did 125 and the noise was still there so the second time I took it apart yesterday I went to 130. Still does it.

If it was the trackbar though I would think jumping in the bumper heavily would exacerbate the creaking but it was silent. It only happens when turning for the most part. It's a loud creak. Makes my 2011 sound like a clunker.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma
The trackbar specs say 125lbs, so I did 125 and the noise was still there so the second time I took it apart yesterday I went to 130. Still does it.

If it was the trackbar though I would think jumping in the bumper heavily would exacerbate the creaking but it was silent. It only happens when turning for the most part. It's a loud creak. Makes my 2011 sound like a clunker.
I had the same problem! I would turn the steering wheel and it would creak like crazy.. Greased every bushing in the front still did it. So I went to the rear and found that my driver side upper control arm needed grease, greased it and the creaking stopped.. I think the sound was traveling through the frame..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moe jk
I had the same problem! I would turn the steering wheel and it would creak like crazy.. Greased every bushing in the front still did it. So I went to the rear and found that my driver side upper control arm needed grease, greased it and the creaking stopped.. I think the sound was traveling through the frame..
And yes my 2011 sounded like a big piece of junk..lol
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

O.o

Really???

I guess I don't think that's what is happening there is no sound in the rear at all?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 AM
JK Freak

Anyone? I'm at a loss here.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spray your sway bar links heavily with wd40. If you have factory sway bar links they are ball/ socket style and make terrible noises. I had that very similar embarrassing noise. I replaced my sway bar links with JKS disconnects and no longer have noise. Spraying them with wd40 will diagnose if it is your problem.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2011 JKU and recently started having the exact same problem. I already have quick disconnects with my 4" Rancho lift. I'll keep a close eye on this to see what the fix might be.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have a similar problem.grap your front track bar n twist it up and down.thats where my noise is coming from,maybe that the same problem you are having.good luck

Quick Reply: Heavy creaking in front end.