Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headlight re-aiming

Old 12-02-2014, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight re-aiming

I just got my lift in and read through the instructions, (yes I am a female so I read instructions ) says at the end to re aim headlights due to being higher off the ground. I never would have thought of doing that. Is it necessary? Im going up 3.5" and going to 35s (just ordered them last night!) Im doing all the work myself and it just seems like a pain in the ass.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not necessary unless you truly care about lights in people's eyes in the rear and side view mirrors. Granted only certain vehicles are going to have to deal with it but I've had 4 lifted vehicles and never adjusted headlights.

Sam
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not too bad to aim them as all you need is a skinny torx screwdriver.

Suppose if you don't want to aim them and do a bit of night driving, see if anyone flashes you. Not the most ideal way to test.

Chances are your lift removed the factory rack which points the nose of your Jeep downwards a bit. Now if the Jeep is level, your headlights are shining 'upwards' more then they were before.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might want to give it a try. It's super easy
Just a real small torque bit will do it. I align both my headlights and foglights every so often. Just to get the best coverage, but then again I'm a light freak!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

properly aimed headlights help prevent from blinding on coming traffic but also help you see better. It is amazing at how a properly aimed headlight works compared to a poorly aimed one.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

The physically doing it isnt a problem, its more getting them in the right place that I feel is going to be a pain. Im not doing the lift until christmas time so we will see.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by giner222
The physically doing it isnt a problem, its more getting them in the right place that I feel is going to be a pain. Im not doing the lift until christmas time so we will see.
it is simple find a level parking lot and shine them at the side of a building at night. measure up from the center of the headlights and park about 25' from the wall and go from there.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by giner222
If your doing the lift yourself, properly adjusting your headlights should be a relatively simple task and I would definitely do it.

All you need is a tape measure, a torx T15 and some masking tape.

Park your jeep 25 feet back from a wall. Make sure you are on level ground. Put a piece tape 3 feet up from the ground. Grab your T15. Find the adjustment screws. On the passenger side it will be at the 10 o’clock position and on the driver side 2 o’clock position. Now with your T15 turn the screws counter clockwise until your headlight is pointing just below the tape line.

Pretty basic, simple stuff...
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher

Park your jeep 25 feet back from a wall. Make sure you are on level ground. Put a piece tape 3 feet up from the ground. Grab your T15. Find the adjustment screws. On the passenger side it will be at the 10 o’clock position and on the driver side 2 o’clock position. Now with your T15 turn the screws counter clockwise until your headlight is pointing just below the tape line.

Thanks! Ill give it a shot when I do the lift
Old 09-25-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
If your doing the lift yourself, properly adjusting your headlights should be a relatively simple task and I would definitely do it.

All you need is a tape measure, a torx T15 and some masking tape.

Sorry to revive an old post but I have been searching for a long time and this is the first good answer I have found. Thanks very much for posting this I plan on doing this in the next day or two.

I have a related question as well. I assume the procedure is basically the same for the fog lights. If so what height does the tape need to be for the fog lights?

Thanks in advance,
COD MW3

Quick Reply: Headlight re-aiming