Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headers Leaking

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Leaking

I just installed a set of JBA ceramic headers, and I can not for the life of me find out where the exhaust leak is. I installed them properly, tightening form the inside out, alternating top to bottom, used a factory gasket with some high temp rtv silicone. cant tell if it is leaking from there at the head, or down by the collector going into the stock exhaust system. Tightened everything up 3x. Its fairly noticeable when driving through all RPMs.

Any thoughts on what it might be, how to find it, or how to fix it?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait for the engine to cool off and spray soapy water around where the headers connect to the heads, collectors, etc.. You might have to spray more right after start up. You should see bubbles if the leak is faint or the soapy water will just blow off if the leak is more prominent. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the same headers. If yours are anything like mine, then the leak is at the flange where the headers meet the exhaust pipe. If you kept your stock hardware to connect there, you'll need to keep on torquing the bolts down periodically. (Mine got bad enough to where I needed to do it every week.) Even tried high-temp red loctite and it would just melt off. I switched to Grade-8 flange bolts and the problem was solved.

Also, with these and most all "non-long-tube" headers, prepare for your spark plug wires overheating & possibly melting. After going through two high-temp wires, I just went and picked up some plug wire boots, which helped a lot. Haven't burned through a wire since.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
Wait for the engine to cool off and spray soapy water around where the headers connect to the heads, collectors, etc.. You might have to spray more right after start up. You should see bubbles if the leak is faint or the soapy water will just blow off if the leak is more prominent. Good luck.
Ok, I will give this a shot!

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
I have the same headers. If yours are anything like mine, then the leak is at the flange where the headers meet the exhaust pipe. If you kept your stock hardware to connect there, you'll need to keep on torquing the bolts down periodically. (Mine got bad enough to where I needed to do it every week.) Even tried high-temp red loctite and it would just melt off. I switched to Grade-8 flange bolts and the problem was solved.

Also, with these and most all "non-long-tube" headers, prepare for your spark plug wires overheating & possibly melting. After going through two high-temp wires, I just went and picked up some plug wire boots, which helped a lot. Haven't burned through a wire since.

Hope that helps.
What do you mean as far as hardware? Just the bolts? If so, what do flange bolts look like? I used new bolts I had laying in the garage, but the old flange from the exhaust is used to connect with the headers.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
What do you mean as far as hardware? Just the bolts? If so, what do flange bolts look like? I used new bolts I had laying in the garage, but the old flange from the exhaust is used to connect with the headers.
Yep. Just the bolts. I'll see if I can get a photo, but basically if you just take your fender liner out and look right in there to where the collector pipe flange meets the exhaust pipe, there should be 2 bolts (I'm guessing - but I think they were maybe 2" by 3/8"). Mine were apparently either reused stock bolts, or the ones that were provided weren't that great. They just kept shaking loose.

I went to Ace hardware and picked up some that looked like this. Grade 8, but make sure that on top of the "hat" on the top of the bolt, that there are little "dents". They help keep the bolt from loosening. That, and get lock nuts too (NOT NYLON).

Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, I'll check that out. Did you have any leaking from up near the head, or only down at the collector?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the spark wire boots or socks ?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
Ok, I'll check that out. Did you have any leaking from up near the head, or only down at the collector?
Nothing up top. Just at the collectors.

Originally Posted by JK07
Where did you get the spark wire boots or socks ?
Picked them up at the local Napa. They come in packs of two, which was all I needed. There are just two wires on the driver's side that get close to touching the headers. After putting the boots on them, everything was good.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

OK, so I tried the soapy water thing, and it evaporated so quickly from just start up heat, that I could not see anything. I went in and re-tightened everything, and still have a leak that I hear. Any other ideas people?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone? .....

Quick Reply: Headers Leaking