Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headers and exhaust

Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and exhaust

Does anyone have any tips on installing headers and exhaust? Im looking for brand info, performance, cost, any help at all. Im really just wondering if its worth the effort. Thanks for any all help. By the way its an 08 unlimited.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Pretty much everyone will tell you shorty headers are not worth the expense and hassle. Many people report issues of melting spark plug wires. I read threw a lot of threads before i finally decided to buy the Ripp Long Tube headers. They have documented horse power gains and i have not found any complaints of melting plug wires. The only draw back is the cost. To me cost was not an issue but they cost about three times the amount of shorty headers. They are worth it. Look them up on the web.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have you regeared?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard that all long tube headers have similar gain, would this be true?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schwheelz
I have heard that all long tube headers have similar gain, would this be true?
Nope. Just because it's a long tube header doesn't mean that the manufacturer did any homework on it beyond making sure it fit.

With whichever brand you decide to go with, there's two things you want to check. First, does the manufacturer publish expected HP/torque gains, preferably in a before/after dyno chart? Second, find out from people who have it installed on their Jeep if those claims are accurate or not.

RIPPs aren't cheap. On the other hand, RIPP is well known, and their long tube headers are well documented to provide significant performance boost. And if you want to get even more out of it, pick up the header kit that includes the programmer. RIPP has some tunes for the 3.8 that make the most of what the headers add.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Buying tip: get the ceramic coated headers and spark plug boot sleeves. I wrapped my bare SS JBA headers and still burnt up 2 Live wire's. Ceramic coating, spark plug boot insulating sleeves and another set of Live Wires and I am now running fine.... As for installing the headers, remove your fender wells and loosen the exhaust clamps behind the Y-pipe. 3/4 of the header bolts are accessed easier than from above and loosening the y pipe will let you move the exhaust out of the way a bit when installing the new headers.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

If money was of no concern, Ripp looks like it would my choice. JBA uncoated headers = $300. Powdercoating = $100. Ripp headers = $1600.... $400 or $1600? Let your budget choose what is best.

Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust