Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headers?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't the headers covered under the exhause warranty? Something like 10 years, 100K miles? If they are covered under warranty why not jsut get some new stockers for free, and save the money until the warranty is up. By then there might be other long tube headers that aren't so expensive.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not free under warranty. I only have 3yr 36k miles. I have an aftermarket warranty extension thru Zurich but its $100 deductible.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.431073,-114.342053
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Verizon 3G
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Aren't the headers covered under the exhause warranty? Something like 10 years, 100K miles? If they are covered under warranty why not jsut get some new stockers for free, and save the money until the warranty is up. By then there might be other long tube headers that aren't so expensive.
Why put something back on that will crack again? That is how I looked at it. I only had 22K miles. So in another 22K I will be doing it again. Well maybe not since I have Ripp headers now. That was my reasoning.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

So expensive tho...

Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm dying to do the ripp but trying to justify the $$$. For those that have it, could you answer a few questions?

The install is not too bad? Can do in driveway? Everything lines up well?

You reuse the stock gaskets?

Heat is not an issue melting plug wires?

Anyone running them with the stock muffler?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on the above questions. Just ordered mine today - hoping I made the right decision...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

They are nice

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.409208,-114.359751
Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

I will do the best to answer your questions.

The install is not too bad? Can do in driveway? Everything lines up well? I had to have my headers modified because I have a long arm lift. On most long arm lifts your have to relocate the lower control arm brackets. The crossover hits the right side lower control arm bracket. This required cuting and welding. I could not do that. The right side header is harder than the left. It is easier if you take out the right side inner fender liner. You can do it in your driveway if you do not need to modify the crossoer(long arm lift). Everything lined up great.

You reuse the stock gaskets? Ripp will suggest you use the exsisting gasket and I did. No leaks period. Used same bolts too. Still tight and no leaks after two months

Heat is not an issue melting plug wires? You can put your stock heat shield back over the headers. The right side will have to be trimmed to fit but you can do it. The left side goes right on. No melting issues period in my case.

Anyone running them with the stock muffler? I'm sure you could. I went with the MBRP because that is what Ripp recommended and I installed the hush power reonator. All of that is clamped on for ease of removal. Did not have to cut any of that piping. all of it bolted right in. It was harder getting the old stuff out.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck

You reuse the stock gaskets? Ripp will suggest you use the exsisting gasket and I did. No leaks period. Used same bolts too. Still tight and no leaks after two months

[/COLOR]
Mine has been on since June 2010, used the original bolts and gaskets, no leak, no crack, no problems.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by StevieRay
Mine has been on since June 2010, used the original bolts and gaskets, no leak, no crack, no problems.
good to know. my exhaust goes on next week. i will decide if i want the resonator or not after i install the exhaust. then ill save paychecks and order these bad boys

Quick Reply: Headers?