Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Headers?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Eh, gonna try to get my Rusty's headers put on this coming weekend. I'll post up in here with some feedback.
Just put the flow daddys on last week...

Couple of things I found with them, The drivers side is a bitch to install with that damn heat shield( ended up cutting it off). Have small hands to fidget wires and bolts on, it was a tight fit for me. Like most other headers they run hot, the stock #4 plug wire boot touches the header. I upgraded wires and used plug boot covers to handle the added heat so far no probs (knock on wood). After about 30 mins of driving with them I got CEL code P0420 IIRC. Hopefully new O2 sensors will fix that and a cat if need be. As for perfomance, I cant really tell a difference over stock, however I can tell that I fixed the massive leak from the cracked stocker. Sound is about the same before I put them on, just a tad throatier. If you need more info on 'em, I'll try my best to answer any questions you have.

To the OP save your $ and get the ripps. if I was in the financial position to get them I would. Better power gains than the short style headers that I have read. Two reason why I got the flow daddys, cheap and not prone to cracking like the stockers.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sringer
So if I do only headers and keep my superchips im ok? Or do I need to use their tune?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Verizon 3G
I can tell you my experience. I had the Ripp headers install but my Superchips program took a crap. a 91 tune was stuck on my JK. The same day the headers were installed my engine light came on. JK ran fine but I was throwing an 02 sensor code. I had to send my tuner back to Superchips and they repaired it (software issue). I removed the tune and installed the header tune provided by Ripp from a Diablosport Predator Tuner. Engine light was gone and has never come back.

By the way the Superchips was sold in less than a day. No problem on this forum.

And no heat issues period.

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 01-03-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I just installed the jba ceramic headers on mine. No difference, and now I have an exhaust leak from the install I can't trace or fix. Tried everything to fix it.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

So if I do only headers and keep my superchips im ok? Or do I need to use their tune?
You can keep your Superchips if you are running any other headers besides the RIPP's. I'm running my Flashpaq AND Sprintbooster with my JBA's. No issues whatsoever.

But, like someone mentioned above, with headers, prepare for your spark plug wires overheating & possibly melting. I picked up some plug wire boots and that helped a lot. Haven't burned through a wire since.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
I just installed the jba ceramic headers on mine. No difference, and now I have an exhaust leak from the install I can't trace or fix. Tried everything to fix it.
If you kept your stock hardware to connect the header flange to the exhaust, you'll need to keep on torquing the bolts down periodically. (Mine got bad enough to where I needed to do it every week.) Even tried high-temp red loctite and it would just melt off. I switched to Grade-8 flange bolts and the problem was solved.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Sounds like I'm for sure getting ripps then. Do they send you the tune and the diablo? Or do you have to buy that all separate as well?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.431156,-114.342172
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like I'm for sure getting ripps then. Do they send you the tune and the diablo? Or do you have to buy that all separate as well?
You have to buy the Diablo. They have different setups, with or without it, and/or with a new muffler, etc. Might want to think about that before installing the corsa you mentioned before too.

http://www.rippmods.com/category_s/687.htm
Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

I already have. It goes on this week. Can't wait. I will have ripp headers and corsa db dual. I have to look into the diablo predator now....

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Do you recommend the resonator? I don't wanna quite down my exhaust. So I don't think I'm gonna get it

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.431040,-114.341913
Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Do you recommend the resonator? I don't wanna quite down my exhaust. So I don't think I'm gonna get it
If it was me I would buy the whole package. I bought the headers, resonator, and tuner. I can't speak for what affect the resonator will have with your corsa db but with the MBRP I have zero drone. I have a nice mellow growl at idle, sounds even better at WOT, and zreo drone at cruizing speed. My tires are louder.

Once you get the diablo tuner you will need to get the stock tune from your JK. Save that file to your desktop. You will need the program DS Downloader to do this. I think it came on a disk with my programmer or you can get it from thier site. You send your stock file to ripptuning@gmail.com

They will send a tune almost immediately. I sent them my email on a saturday morning thinking I would get my tune monday and I got it saturday night. Maybe I was lucky but they have a quick turn around.

You tuner will not come with a serial to USB cable or a power cable. Diablo sport sells a kit for $40. You have to have that to plug into your computer. It does not come with the Header package.

Quick Reply: Headers?