Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

header question

Old 09-05-2020, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header question

I have a 2010 JKU. I am new to the Jeep world so please forgive my ignorance here. I purchased my Jeep in May, and noticed an exhaust leak at start-up (driver side manifold is cracked). Once it warms up, it's quietens down. After doing a little research, I was wondering if headers would be the best choice. From what I'm reading it seems that there is very little power gain. Are they worth the extra cost over a replacement manifold? I live in an area of Tennessee that does emission testing, so I have to run catalytic converters (or the appearance of them).
I run HP tuners on my wife's car and mine. Both are Pontiac G8s. Hers is 420 rwhp mine is 464. So I know tuning will help, and my tuner is willing to help with this.
If headers are worth it, which brands need to be looked at and which ones to avoid.

Current set-up on the Jeep is stock motor
2.5/3" lift running 35's
Regearing coming soon and question along with it.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2020, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Don't bother with headers. You won't see real gains unless you're hitting red line and that's not a great idea with the 3.8- it doesn't go any faster or further, just spins a little more. Dorman makes replacement manifolds with a great warranty.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. That's was the route I was looking at. Less than $100 for a replacement manifold. I couldn't justify spending $1100-1600 for headers and Y pipe.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Are you seeing a crack or just surmising that? When I had the 3.8 in mine I had that noise when cold and it went away when the engine was hot. When I took the motor out to put the Chev in I saw the cause of the leak - loose connection between drivers manifold and the exhaust flange. Wasn't the reason I changed to motor so no hindsight regrets here.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Haven't actually seen the crack. It's on the bottom side of the runner. You can just feel the exhaust blowing out.

Quick Reply: header question