Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hawse fairlead with wire rope?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawse fairlead with wire rope?

So, be gentle as I have never owned a winch before. Can you run a hawse fairlead with just normal wire rope or does it have to be synthetic to use one? Also, are there any noncolored synthetic lines available. I know its stupid, but I simply dont like the looks of the blue lines and whatnot. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a hawse fairlead that can be used with wire up to 9000lbs it is steel instead of aluminum. i just got one!!! i have not used it yet but im hoping it works well. didnt want to spend the money changing to synthetic so ive got my fingers crossed. if I get to use it in the next couple of weeks ill let you know how it goes!!!!

it is much quieter than my old roller!!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I never owned a winch before either. Went with the Synthetic Rope (Northridge4x4.com) simply because of the safety factor. If I do something incorrect I'd rather break the rope than hurt myself or someone else. Had it on for a few months and have yet to use it anyway.

I went with orange rope, looks good, lots of complements.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 AM
JK Freak

Crazycasey....

Where did you buy the steel Fairlead?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKMudder
So, be gentle as I have never owned a winch before. Can you run a hawse fairlead with just normal wire rope or does it have to be synthetic to use one? Also, are there any noncolored synthetic lines available. I know its stupid, but I simply dont like the looks of the blue lines and whatnot. Thanks for the info.
I would not run a winch cable through an aluminum Hawse fairlead. It would saw right through it. Never heard of a steel one, but that would be better. I have the XRC8 with synthetic line and that line color is a light grey.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKMudder
The hawse was meant for synthetic rope. I the roller fairlead was meant for steel cable. The hawse fairlead would look like a beat up piece of tin after a use of your winch--not to mention what it might do to the lip of your front bumper.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dburgette
The hawse was meant for synthetic rope. I the roller fairlead was meant for steel cable. The hawse fairlead would look like a beat up piece of tin after a use of your winch--not to mention what it might do to the lip of your front bumper.
They make a steel hawse fairlead for wire rope. I have one from warn and i have used my winch many of times and it looks like the day I bought it, just missing some paint.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I THINK IT WAS 4 WHEEL PARTS DOWN TOWN HERE. I DONT NORMALLY BUY STUFF FROM THEM BUT THEY KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN I ASKED THEM ABOUT IT.

IVE SEEN OTHER PEOPLE RUNING THEM BUT NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO ASK HOW THEY WORK. I GUESS WE WILL FIND OUT SOON. ALL THIS TALK ABOUT IT MAKES ME WANT TO GO OUT AND FIND A REASON TO USE IT!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dads sidewinder came with a steel hawse on it. we left it on since it is recess mounted, to guide the cable through the bumper only and then added a steel roller fairlead.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by redx08
They make a steel hawse fairlead for wire rope. I have one from warn and i have used my winch many of times and it looks like the day I bought it, just missing some paint.
Thank goodness i was begining to think maybe i was CRAZY.....

im glad to hear it works good now I dont have to go bury my wifes truck in a ditch for an excuse to use it

Quick Reply: Hawse fairlead with wire rope?