Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Having difficult mounting new rins and tires

Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased new rims and tires from discounts tire and am having difficulty mounting the rims to my jeep. The new rims are not hub centric. I called discount tire and they are telling me all aftermarket rims are lug centric and not hub centric? Isn't this a safety issue? I had always heard that rims should be hub centric to properly fit the vehicle. I am having a heck of a time even mounting the first tire on my wrangler. American outlaw rims with 35" coopers. Any help much appreciated and thanks! 2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Old 04-26-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you removed the little retainer clip that holds the disc in place at the factory? It's a little circular thin clip located on one of the lugs sitting flush with the disc.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

They won't go on the studs? Is the tire rubbing against anything? What's holding up the progress??

Lug/ hub centric isn't key for these vehicles- it's not going to effect your safety. Pulling off the retaining washers is a good idea and is for your safety.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you can't even get the rim on, have you verified that they are the correct bolt pattern?

From Discount Tire Directs website:

Hub-centric rings ensure that the wheels are perfectly centered on the vehicle’s hub. These rings do not offer any increase in safety, nor do they affect structural integrity, but they do assist in providing a vibration-free ride. The hub-centric ring kits that we offer are made of the highest-grade materials and are included with your wheel purchase at no additional cost.
If they were not included, you can buy them for $15.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The majority of wheels out there are not hub centric. Hasnt been an issue for the vast majority of us.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!!
I finally got the front on.
The lug opening on the rims are pretty small and I am having to rotate the wheel to get the lug wrench in the hole to tighten the lugs down.
I am going to order a set of those hub ring things you guys are talking about so it's easier to mount the rims.
Thanks again!!!

<__NSMallocBlock__: 0x145eb500>
Old 04-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

So the issue is your lug wrench is too large? Hub centric rings won't help you with that. Gorilla splined lug nuts help. I purchased the eBay ones and they're the same style but much lower quality and have a terrible finish.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ikaros
Thanks for the quick replies guys!!!! I finally got the front on. The lug opening on the rims are pretty small and I am having to rotate the wheel to get the lug wrench in the hole to tighten the lugs down. I am going to order a set of those hub ring things you guys are talking about so it's easier to mount the rims. Thanks again!!! <__NSMallocBlock__: 0x145eb500>
Just buy a deep thin wall socket. Problem solved
Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I had to use to start the lugs and center the rim.

Regardless rims are on and love the way the jeep looks now!

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1720261866.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	553.5 KB
ID:	645126  

Quick Reply: Having difficult mounting new rins and tires