Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Have you resolved your wandering issue?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 JKUR that has driven fine with factory setup and then 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers and a Metalcloak 2.5" suspension. I just had to replace the tires, so I put on 35" Toyo Open Country MTs. With these new tires I am feeling a lot more drift than I ever had before. It was aligned right after I got the new tires. I have been playing with the tire pressure to resolve the issue. I haven't been able to get it any better. I thought that higher tire pressure would be best to eliminate drift but I'm not sure. I have tried 28 psi and now have them at 30 psi. Should I go higher or lower?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to try a stiffer steering stabilizer but from what is discussed on several threads, that would be a waste of money.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by snags922
so I put on 35" Toyo Open Country MTs. With these new tires I am feeling a lot more drift than I ever had before. It was aligned right after I got the new tires.
Read a few threads on those tires. Pretty sure they are one that people talk about having a radial pull to one side?

What are the caster and toe specs?

Drift to one side only? Or wandering to both sides? Have you chalk tested to see what psi gives the best contact patch? My experience is that higher psi gives a bit flightier (and harsher) ride than lower psi, but your opinion may vary.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Read a few threads on those tires. Pretty sure they are one that people talk about having a radial pull to one side?

What are the caster and toe specs?

Drift to one side only? Or wandering to both sides? Have you chalk tested to see what psi gives the best contact patch? My experience is that higher psi gives a bit flightier (and harsher) ride than lower psi, but your opinion may vary.
Left Front: -0.8 Camber 4.2 Caster 0.08 Toe
Right Front: -0.8 Camber 4.2 Caster 0.07 Toe

It wanders to both sides but it pulls a one way a hair more. I would have to drive to check again but I think it pulls a hair more to the right. I kept thinking it was just the camber of the lane I was in.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

One of the first comments I made to my wife when I test drove my '15 Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock was that it wandered in the lane. I kinda got used to it not too long after buying it, but I could tell that it wanted to wander around. I recently had some 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs installed, and that helped the issue. Shortly after, I had a Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex kit installed with Rancho 9000 shocks, and now the Jeep feels planted on the road. No complaints at all now. No more noticeable wandering.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine never wandered until the bigger tires and lift. Then it wasn't too bad at all, then I had to change my front driveshaft to a different design from the OEM spec and that in turn made me change the pinon angle which directly correlated to the castor angle. Now it wanders. I counter it by adjusting the track bar and running the tires in the mid to low 20 range. It helped quite a bit, but still not like it was when it came off the factory line.

Quick Reply: Have you resolved your wandering issue?