Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Have you used your spare?
Never needed it
82.61%
Needed it on the street
8.70%
Needed it on the trail
13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever used your35" or larger spare tire?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will always carry one, agree on the street part of not needing one as much, basically every car I have owned I never had one except my one audi which I lost a bead parking at work oddly enough but couldnt drive the car home anyway due to different tire sizes, but for the jeep I will keep it with me. Havnt needed it yet on the trials but the first time I was out we had 2 guys need theirs.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I blew a bead at the Mall and was glad I had one!!

Just kidding, to justify mine in my 'simple mind' I rotate the spare in at every tire rotation and get 20% longer life on all 5!!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I rotate my spare in for the 20% mile increase plus as another member mentioned, I dont want a spare with 100% tread when I catch a flat at 40,000+ miles. Oh not to mention..... that blacked out 37 looks pretty badazz sitting on the back!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just add it to my rotation..... Never needed it per say tho.....
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a high jack lift, first aid kit and tow straps in my jeep I have never needed... But that one time I do I am going to be very happy I have it
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Reseating a bead should not be a threatening situation on the trail, and even a small puncture can be dealt with. The problem is if you cut your sidewall or break a wheel. Reseating a bead on the trail should be a skill that everyone who goes off the beaten path should know. Having said that... I watched my dad do the method with lighter fluid half a dozen times but I haven't had to do it myself yet. Here is what I'm talking about.

One way to Reseat the bead of a tire - YouTube
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
I don't run a spare on streets, and I have even made a delete plate for the spare in the rear. I DO however Toss a spare In the rear when I hit the trails, and YES I've used it. Went snow wheeling a month and half ago and slid on a rock and knocked my front passenger tire off the bead. Folks thought I didn't have a spare, but I opened the tailgate and there it was! :-)
SPARE ON STREETS-hardly to never needed
SPARE ON TRAILS-hopefully u have one, cause you'll hate life if you dont
x2 - don't run a spare in town, tire delete plate, have a tire repair kit always handy. Saves a good 100lbs of dead weight so helps fuel consumption somewhat. Strap it down in the trunk when wheeling. Wheeling without a spare is not very smart at all. And i include it in the rotation.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Cut my 37" Goodrich mt2 sidewall on the trail. Didn't feel comfortable driving 200 miles on the highway with a wad of plugs in it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would definitely get a spare. That's an odd sized tire, and the chances aren't that great of someone being with you with the same size tire.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run without a spare around town. While offroad I will have a spare at the trailhead on my trailer. I typically am dressed to nice for work to change my 37"s tires and plugging would be quicker anyway. Worst case scenario I call AAA or pick my rig up with my truck and trailer, but everybody has that luxury.
Keep in mind that 39"s are an odd size tire for most that wheel a JK. So it might take a day or two before you can get it replaced at the tire store. So if you Jeep is a DD, you should think of that too.

Quick Reply: Have you ever used your35" or larger spare tire?