Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Have to replace one tire due to puncture others more than half tread. Is this a prob?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to replace one tire due to puncture others more than half tread. Is this a prob?

As the title says I have to replace one of my tires due to a puncture.
My other 35 x 12.50 x 17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT's have at least half tread or more.
I am worried that because of the extra height of new tread the jeep may pull a little or the ESP may be pissed.

Has anyone else dealt with this and did you have any problems.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

you may run into some issues due to the slight difference in height. I would suggest buying two new wheels and running them on the same axle, or having a tire shop shave some tread off the new replacement.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I am running one new tire on the back driver's side, the others have more than 60,000 km. No problems so far. I would say just run it that way before you do any shaving - that just sounds like a waste of a new tire. Buying another tire for the same axle sounds like a better idea.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's on the side wall :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Usually i buy in pairs unless they were new to start with. this is where a matching spare comes in handy though, only have to buy one
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put your matching spare on if its still new opposite the tire your replacing. Take the tire that the spare replaced and use it now for your spare. If you have been doing a five tire rotation just put on the spare and use the new tire for your new spare, just don't include it in a rotation any further. No more issues with circumference.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rickc309
Put your matching spare on if its still new opposite the tire your replacing. Take the tire that the spare replaced and use it now for your spare. If you have been doing a five tire rotation just put on the spare and use the new tire for your new spare, just don't include it in a rotation any further. No more issues with circumference.
Agree. This makes the most sense. Put the spare and new tire on the same axle if possible
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is the system really that sensitive? If you had only been doing a 4 tire rotation and got a flat the spare would be new but the rest of the tires could be pretty worn. Would that cause the traction control to go nuts? I would think there has to be some tolerance to allow for normal wear differences, at least within an average tire tread height.

Quick Reply: Have to replace one tire due to puncture others more than half tread. Is this a prob?