Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Have a few questions (lift, tires, wheels..)...please help me out!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Are you sure you want to invest ~$5000+ into a street rig? Or can you get by with 35s and a spacer kit that's about half the cost?
No I'm not. Tbh I thought about leaving it stock but I like to modify things so that won't happen. I looked at 35's with a smaller lift......didn't like the look.

Originally Posted by SBEII
X2. I don't even think he can get the parts that cheap.

If your not off-roading, you can fit 37" tires under 2.5" of lift. The pinch seam trim is only for offroad. If you stay on the street you will be fine. 5.5" of lift is a lot for on road use.
IMO anything under 4" just doesn't look right because the fender gap, it looks tucked. Good to know about the pinch seam. After looking at TF's Jeep and a few others I agree 5.5" may be too much, I go with 4".

Originally Posted by moe jk
Thinking?? You should just get An H2 they like 20s.. Not trying to be an ass.. But all joking side, C gussets should be right up there as a must, that heavy rim and tire could tweak them over time..
Ha, not a hummer fan. C gussets? I'll read more into it, thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Here's the look I'm after (I'm a two door though)...this is a members Jeep on here...his setup is a 4" RC lift with RC 1.25" BL with 37's on 20's

Last edited by anti-dirt; 01-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anti-dirt
Here's the look I'm after (I'm a two door though)...this is a members Jeep on here...his setup is a 4" RC lift with RC 1.25" BL with 37's on 20's
How about a 2.5" coil lift with flat fenders on 35s? Trying to save you a few thousand dollars. Also consider passengers climbing into the rig on a daily basis.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a 2.5" coil lift with flat fenders on 35s? Trying to save you a few thousand dollars. Also consider passengers climbing into the rig on a daily basis.
Good call, heck he can take that out and play too
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go with 18s on 35s and save yourself a lot of cash and headaches.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

If you plan to do a lot of offroading:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Pro...e=RKJK35XF-PKG
you can do up to 37" tires with that lift but have to get flat flares
15x8 Cragar Soft 8 steel wheels with 33/12.50-15 Kumho KL71 Mud tires
(but with 35s) about same price from Home - Discount Tire Direct I went with KM2s

if not just do a BB lift for like a couple of hundred bucks to get the clearance.

If you do go over 3-4" lift you might have to replace the driveshafts.

If your jk is manual, axles might be ok, otherwise regearing would pbly be a good idea.

Dont forget to reprogram the thing as well once you put in the new tires.

Oh also if you run bigger than 33" tires and get a spare the factory tire carrier will most likley need to be replaced with either bumper tire carrier or teraflex reinforced tire carrier ...

I myself went throught the same nightmare you are going through just a few weeks back ... gl with the set up
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I'm going to look up some Jeeps with this setup and see what I think, trust me I don't want to drop $6-7k

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Good call, heck he can take that out and play too
That's what I'm looking for, mostly street but something that can still play a little

Originally Posted by pwain
Id go with 18s on 35s and save yourself a lot of cash and headaches.
Yea gonna check it out

Originally Posted by dis_dis
If you plan to do a lot of offroading:

https://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Pro...e=RKJK35XF-PKG
you can do up to 37" tires with that lift but have to get flat flares
15x8 Cragar Soft 8 steel wheels with 33/12.50-15 Kumho KL71 Mud tires
(but with 35s) about same price from Home - Discount Tire Direct I went with KM2s

if not just do a BB lift for like a couple of hundred bucks to get the clearance.

If you do go over 3-4" lift you might have to replace the driveshafts.

If your jk is manual, axles might be ok, otherwise regearing would pbly be a good idea.

Dont forget to reprogram the thing as well once you put in the new tires.

Oh also if you run bigger than 33" tires and get a spare the factory tire carrier will most likley need to be replaced with either bumper tire carrier or teraflex reinforced tire carrier ...

I myself went throught the same nightmare you are going through just a few weeks back ... gl with the set up
I don't plan on doing allot of off-roading, probably 99% street and the 1% being maybe a once a year mud bath. Idk about running 15's, I know that's best for off-roading but I'm just not feeling the look. I do have a manual trans. And yea the re-program and tire carrier, this stuff keeps adding up

Btw, thanks for the suggestions and help guys, much appreciated!!!

Last edited by anti-dirt; 01-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

If you really want long arms EVO makes a bolt on long arm but its 4". You could probably do a different spring set up like Rock Krawler if you really want to go up further. As stated above regear should be high on your list and I'm pretty sure you will need new drive shafts if you go up that high. Maybe not immediately but with that angle it puts a lot of stress. You should also beef up your front axle with C gussets. With those big tires you might damage something pretty quick.

Good luck with the build. It's your Jeep!!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan on flat fenders later, I would save the money and but smaller wheels which will make your tires cheaper (even if you get 37's). A 4" lift with 37's and flat are plenty good. You will need the money for gears soon after you change the tires. You will also most likely need a front driveshaft if you do go wheeling. I think you should also weld on some gussets to you dana 30. The gear work should be done at the same time you do your tires and wheels. Most 4" lifts tell you that you need to change the front driveshaft or use an exhaust spacer.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

She needs something!!! Stock isn't cutting it...

Quick Reply: Have a few questions (lift, tires, wheels..)...please help me out!!!