Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Have a few questions (lift, tires, wheels..)...please help me out!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Have a few questions (lift, tires, wheels..)...please help me out!!!

Ok guy's please bear with me as I'm completely new to Jeep's and I've been lurking the forum for some time now reading and researching as much as possible to ask you guys the least amount of brain-numbing questions I possibly can. I want to run a few things by you all and make sure everything sounds like it'll work and get some opinions and suggestions because I'm about to spend allot of $$$ on this stuff and I want to do it right. First things first I own a Orange Crush '12 Sport (and love it). I've been reading up on a few things from wheel offsets, backspacing, trimming pinch seams, to lift kits. It seems as though the two most popular lift kits that keep coming up are TeraFlex and Rock Krawler. I was leaning towards the TF long-arm kit but then I seen the install process for the long-arm and the mid-arm kit from RK instantly seemed more appealing.

My plans so far are a Rock Krawler X-factor 5.5" mid-arm lift with 37x13.5x20" Toyo Open Countries on 20x9 XD Hoss wheels. I'm looking at getting the wheels in a -12 offset (4.53~ BS I believe) if they're available in that low of an offset, I'd rather stay away from the +18 offset. This combo will rarely see off-road time, if any, so flex, or sidewall, and stuff like that isn't a major concern. Mods I'm looking at down the road are flat fenders and a gear-swap.

Here's a link to the wheel/tire combo I'm looking at...
20x9 Black XD Hoss Wheels w/Toyo Open Country MT 37x13.5x20 Tires

Here's a link to the lift kit...
Rock Krawler Suspension RKJK55XF - Rock Krawler X Factor Mid Arm 5.5" System for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

QUESTIONS...

1. What else should I be upgrading...? Adjustable track-arm bar?? Shocks? Sway-bars? Drive-shafts?

2. I was planning on doing a long arm but I don't think I can bring myself to cutting, grinding and welding on my brand-new Jeep, so I thought the 5.5" mid-arm was a good compromise..any thoughts on this kit regarding quality, install process, etc..?

3. I've read that the D30 will hold-up to street use and moderate off-road use with larger wheels and tires but anything more than that and it's toast. Will stock gearing suffice until I can get a gear swap underway?

4. I know I need to cut the pinch seam and the thought of this also makes me squirmish. Will it be absolutely necessary to cut this? I believe I read some threads of people saying that their lift was high enough to clear the seam.

5. Will my front tires rub from lock to lock?

6. Does anyone have any pics of a setup similar to this? Or any pics of the XD Hoss wheels (or any other 9" wheel for that matter) with a -12mm offset?

Thanks!

Last edited by anti-dirt; 01-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Or should I do a TeraFlex 4" with a 2.5" BB??? I'm so lost!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

your jeep the unlimited? two door with 37's is a very big street jeep. 37's on 3.21 will suck the power right out of it. probably should put regear at the top of that wish list if you go with 37's

I run 35's on a two door rubi with 4.23's works real well for me. also if you going to spend all that money for "looks" and 37's look at duratracs or a more aggressisve tire than at's . Your gas will be crap anyway. just my couple cents...
happy building....its fun as hell!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

i forgot.... 3" bds with pro comp 7069's duratracks

rubi wheels and toyo mud tires in the winter... 14mpg give or take. my 2012 is a toy so my concern on street manners is low. It was built to look good, go topless, and climb hills. if this is your everyday car then 37's are a big big tire...but to each there own....go for it!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

and one more thing.... remember with 20 inch wheels you get alot less sidewall....from what ive seen here not many peeps run 20's because most prefer the look of a big chunky sidewall....and sidewalls have a big advantage when wheeling...

heres to your jeep build....
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anti-dirt
Or should I do a TeraFlex 4" with a 2.5" BB??? I'm so lost!!!
OK, skip the 2.5" BB kit and just run a TeraFlex 4" with those 37's. Here's mine with that same setup and Trailmods fenders. Now I'm running a 4" Long Arm Suspension but TeraFlex also offers a 4" short arm suspension that will work with 37's.

TeraFlex 4" Flex Arm Suspension, I would highly recommend new gears with tires that big.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
OK, skip the 2.5" BB kit and just run a TeraFlex 4" with those 37's. Here's mine with that same setup and Trailmods fenders. Now I'm running a 4" Long Arm Suspension but TeraFlex also offers a 4" short arm suspension that will work with 37's.

TeraFlex 4" Flex Arm Suspension, I would highly recommend new gears with tires that big.
That looks good! What about the driveshafts, will those need to be upgraded?

edit: Out of curiosity what's the difference between the TF 4" kit and the Rough Country 4", I'm guessing quality but do you guys have any other advantages?

Last edited by anti-dirt; 01-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you want to invest ~$5000+ into a street rig? Or can you get by with 35s and a spacer kit that's about half the cost?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Are you sure you want to invest ~$5000+ into a street rig? Or can you get by with 35s and a spacer kit that's about half the cost?
X2. I don't even think he can get the parts that cheap.

If your not off-roading, you can fit 37" tires under 2.5" of lift. The pinch seam trim is only for offroad. If you stay on the street you will be fine. 5.5" of lift is a lot for on road use.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII

X2. I don't even think he can get the parts that cheap.

If your not off-roading, you can fit 37" tires under 2.5" of lift. The pinch seam trim is only for offroad. If you stay on the street you will be fine. 5.5" of lift is a lot for on road use.
Thinking?? You should just get An H2 they like 20s.. Not trying to be an ass.. But all joking side, C gussets should be right up there as a must, that heavy rim and tire could tweak them over time..

Last edited by moe jk; 01-28-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Have a few questions (lift, tires, wheels..)...please help me out!!!