Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone removed the door handles from their jeep?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
I just think this is a pointless mod - theres no utility in it.

Unless it provides some utility, what is the point? Same with lambo doors - no utility.

Damn near all my mods have provided something - even the shorty antenna prevents whipping of the antenna by branches, but no door handles doesn't do anything but inconvenience me.

If removing the door handles gained me some clearance or prevented something from snagging or ....you get the picture..
more aerodynamic!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I appreciate shaved handles on other vehicles but unless you could do something with the exposed hinges, it just doesn't seem to work. I think someone could get just as much leverage in looks by painting their factory handles body color.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

This kit seems like it might work well with the 4 doors.

http://www.black-ridge.com/99012_4_door_shaved_door_handle_kit.htm

Last edited by Robar; 05-14-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I once saw a thread here where someone shaved the handles on a set of half doors. That looked sweet, but you just reach inside and open the door. I can't find the thread anymore, but it was around.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

that would look sweet along with lambo doors!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by l3itch
I don't like it.. It just looks wrong. I like the big ugly handles
I do, too. I think those handles, the exposed hinges, the hood nipples, the OEM fenders, the boogy-woogy hood latches, etc. are all part of the JK's character. Removing them looks too . . low rider--but RiSK admits that.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can see why you dont like the stock handles. i hate them. but NO handles just looks WRONG IMO.eventually im thinking of getting the off road evoloution handles , just to replace the plastic stuff.
on a side note would you replace the tailgate one? i cant figure out how to remove it
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

I really don't mind them. I think they flow with the rest of the Jeep and even though they're plastic, they feel much more sturdy than the typical, thin metal handles on most cars.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I do, too. I think those handles, the exposed hinges, the hood nipples, the OEM fenders, the boogy-woogy hood latches, etc. are all part of the JK's character. Removing them looks too . . low rider--but RiSK admits that.
You mean removing SOME of them looks low rider-ish. I removed my OEM flares and couldn't be happier. No low rider here. I do ride on 20's though.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had to bring to light a new angle of thought for this old thread. I have to agree somewhat that removing the door handles on a new Wrangler just doesn't look right. Somehow the black handles seem to balance well with the overall look and feel of the JK. The handles seem to mesh well with the black top and black bumper trim of this vehicle. Where I think a door popper might work well for this application is with the rear gate of the JK. As you know, there are a couple of spare tire mount manufacturers out there that have developed the spare tire carrier to work in conjunction with the rear gate, so as to open together. This design allows for one less step to access the rear cargo area. A genius idea at best. This design for the most part is perfect in function and form. There is however one small problem and it doesn't necessarily affect everyone. This problem, or more of an inconvenience, happens to those individuals who decide (like myself) to mount a rather large spare tire back there. The all in one design makes use of the OEM rear latch gate handle somewhat useless and hard to get to, especially when the rear spare is larger than a 37" tire. Trying to get your hand back there to depress the handle is or can be a pain depending on what type and size of tire being used back there. What I would like to see is someone trying to or maybe someone who has already installed a door popper in lieu of the OEM rear gate handle. It would seem to me that this could be a clean and dependable mod for us Jeepers, especially in this particular situation. I'm thinking one could install a button in a convenient location on the Jeep or even a secret location for those of us who use our Jeeps in the real world and are concerned about theft issues. This may have been talked about already so I'm apologizing in advance if so. Any pictures or thoughts about this subject would be greatly appreciated. Again ,not so much for a custom Jeep design, but rather for a practical Jeep design. Let's leave the door handles on!

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed the door handles from their jeep?