Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Has anyone put a switch on their fan?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone put a switch on their fan?

Has anyone put a switch in line to their electric fan? I want to be able to turn it off for water crossings, so it doesn't break. I was wheeling with a friend who had his fan turn on in water and the plastic fan broke off. If anyone has, which wire did you put the switch on?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slickwill had one on his late jeep.

----------------
Now playing: Mindless Self Indulgence - Bring the Pain
via FoxyTunes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07WrangX
Has anyone put a switch in line to their electric fan? I want to be able to turn it off for water crossings, so it doesn't break. I was wheeling with a friend who had his fan turn on in water and the plastic fan broke off. If anyone has, which wire did you put the switch on?
Yup, I did. You need a pretty high amp relay (40A+) that's 'normally closed' and then use it on the fan's ground wire. It's a dual speed fan, so it has two power wires. You could always use two relays, one for each hot wire, but it's easier to use a single relay on the ground. You should also consider a waterproof model.

js.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I personally unplug my fan at the connector right near the air box. I don't do water crossings every often, but it is cheaper and easier than a relay install.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Yup, I did. You need a pretty high amp relay (40A+) that's 'normally closed' and then use it on the fan's ground wire. It's a dual speed fan, so it has two power wires. You could always use two relays, one for each hot wire, but it's easier to use a single relay on the ground. You should also consider a waterproof model.

js.
Which is the ground? I want to put it on the vehicle side of the plug, so I can take the fan out to clean the radiator.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

i just had to have my fan replaced. the fan came off the elc. motor
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tank
i just had to have my fan replaced. the fan came off the elc. motor
That is what happened to my buddy when he hit a water hole. That is why I want to do this. I'm getting the relay tomorrow and already have the switch in. I will post some pics when I get it done.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put a switch on their fan?